Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What's his name?

I am keeping count of every time I hear this question throughout the day. I don't think an hour goes by without getting asked this most important of questions. I don't mind it at all. I understand the curiosity. I mean, as parents-to-be you have the opportunity to pick the word that the person will go by for the rest of his life. He could make that name great and known. He could be the funny guy with a funny name who makes everyone laugh. Of course, he could also do quite the opposite with the name we choose for him and have it be known for things not so remarkable. With all of this weight on this decision I just don't know how people come to a conclusion.

And you see....we are in quite a small predicament. We are overloaded with B's as it is but many of our favorite names are "B" Names. I know this doesn't matter except on a Christmas card and I know many people choose to give everyone in their family the same initials. Cute. That's not for us though. Well, not for us by design but we just may have to use one of our favorite "B" names and resign to signing our Christmas card..."With love from the Bagwells" with no mention of our tongue twisting family.

To be quite honest though - Brad and I have honestly spent no time at all talking about a name for the little man that greets us in the Spring. What is wrong with us? Can we just not plan anything? As if actually "planning" something would be blasphemy! I know what will happen - about a month before the stork makes his trip Brad and I will haphazardly pick the best name at the moment and be done with the whole naming thing. I hope not though. I hope we surprise ourselves and surprise you and actually thoughtfully decide on little Bagwell's name. Admittedly, things have been hectic at work for the husband and I am working many weird hours right now so it seems we have had little time to even say the normal husband/wife banter in the mornings and late nights. Still, I hope we can set aside some time, drop some names in a hat, flip a coin and make some decisions!

Here is the list of last years most popular names (and a few listed below). You know how we work though......we can't even look at this list because we wouldn't possibly want to pick a name that everyone else picked last year! What do you think about these names? I love how some of your classic names like Elizabeth and Matthew always make the list. (Good job mama!)

Girls Names Boys Names
1 Emma Aiden
2 Sophia Jayden
3 Madison Ethan
4 Isabella Jacob
5 Olivia Caden
6 Ava Jackson
7 Madeline Noah
8 Addison Jack
9 Hailey Logan
10 Lily Matthew
11 Kaitlyn Nicholas
12 Chloe Ryan
13 Abigail Brayden
14 Emily Michael
15 Riley Gavin
16 Mia Dylan
17 Ella Lucas
18 Hannah Caleb
19 Kaylee Andrew
20 Sarah Connor

1 comment:

  1. Hi Betsy!
    Rob and I struggled FOREVER when naming our son. We finally settled on Robert Andrew Ward, Jr. And call him Andrew b/c I didn't want to do the whole "little Rob" thing. Anywho. The best advice I received about naming a son is to remember that he will be an adult longer than he will be a child. So, if you chose a cute, fun little boy name, he will still have that same cute, fun little boy name when he is a MAN. Hope this helps.....Love keeping up with your blog!

    ReplyDelete