Tuesday, June 22, 2010

We need a little more excitement than this

Thank you to my 4 faithful readers for casting your opinion on our 2nd child. Seriously, we appreciate your apparent interest as this little gymnast in my belly has certainly already been afflicted with the 2nd child syndrome and there is nothing I can do to keep if from happening

Dear little one,
You are set to rock our world in less than two months. I can tell that you know the time is drawing near as you turn once every time we mention you (properly calling you Baby #2 still) and you turn twice every time I mention your brother or say his name. I say his name quite often throughout the day as that is just the stage we are in so I know you are developing some strong quadriceps and calf muscles. I hope you give me such movement at the mention of your big brothers name because you can't wait to get out and learn from him and entertain him here in about 8 months ( I am really hoping for this as I am about done entertaining these days.....I'll get a second wind, don't worry!) I do hope that is the reason for all the fuss rather than any jealous feelings that may have already developed.

Yes, you are the 2nd child and yes, we just did this whole she-bang a year ago but I promise you this - I don't remember anything! Therefore, every whimper and funny noise will be new again. The shock of a newborn diaper (yucko) and the smell of spit up don't even come to mind when I mention them. Once again, every single thing will be new to us again! I honestly couldn't begin to recall what we do with a newborn in the first 8 weeks. How much fun are we going to have relearning with you? We'll even have your 14 month old brother to help out by bringing you shoes I am sure because he likes everyone's shoes. He will also throw your 12-14 dirty diapers a day (I do remember that fact) in the diaper genie and anything else that he deems as dirty. He has gotten amazingly good at this lately. Oh, and he loves to find the hidden bottles that I rehide every evening.....he is an expert at locating bottles so you will never go hungry, little one.

On a more serious note, I know we don't seem to dote over you just yet but I promise it doesn't mean that there will be any lack of love once you make your appearance. You probably don't even know the difference but I go to bed guilty almost every night because of the lack of "hooplah" that has come your way. It's not just your dad and I but really, everyone else that knows you are coming. I can see how 2nd children have a hard task from day one - to pave their own way. Your brother steals so much of the show these days as he is into everything and learns a new trick everyday. People in the mall or the grocery usually make no comment about your home - my growing belly - but rather, take to playing with the curious one year old that will always be your big brother and best friend. I promise you, booger, when you are here - our hearts will melt for you in the very same way but in a very different way as well. Other mama's of more than one kid tell me that my heart will expand and I will love you like I have never loved anyone before because it will be a different kind of love - but the same in a sense. Did I just confuse you?

Anyway, yes, we have yet to decide on the perfect name and no, we have not washed any newborn clothes or even put together a crib but that has no bearing on the fact that we know you are perfect for our family. Your dad and I believe that everything in life happens for a reason, and, sweet boy, though right now I feel like an emotional, exhausted, confused mama of two-to-be, I know that my heart is just getting ready to expand to allow plenty of room for you. I promise (and now I am in tears again)! Your birth will truly be one of the biggest tests of my faith that I have ever experienced as I do not feel adequate to be a mother again right now. I feel out of control and I lack confidence in my ability to handle what is about to happen. Fortunately, for you, I knew several years ago that the same God who thought of you, and is growing you now, and has a plan for you - even as you grow - stole my heart when He asked me to follow Him. As you'll learn so quickly, it is often not the easiest to follow Him, especially when nothing in your life seems to be as you thought it might be but I have learned that those are the times when He is doing something so big and beautiful. Your brother was just as much a surprise to us (like I said, you'll learn - we are a little unplanned around here) and ever since the moment he joined our family of two and a dog I couldn't imagine life without him. I trust in God's crazy plan for me and though I may seem unshaky in there - as I know you hear the tears and the yawns - I am certain that God knew what He was doing when he formed you. He knew your life - all 3.5 lbs of it so far - would effect me even from the moment you were made. You haven't even shown us your hair color yet but you have already caused me to seek comfort in our God like I never have before. Thank you, sweet boy.

I'm reading these words out loud to you now so you can hear them and keep them close to your forming heart. These next several weeks are so pivotal for us all. You are fattening up so you can be happy and warm when you get out of there. Dad is getting his look-good-naked workouts in as he says he'll probably not get to go to the gym for 8 months once you come. He is so crazy! Brooks and I are enjoying our seemingly easy days right now and trying to get a little bit of color on our cheeks because tan and fat is always cuter than super-white and fat and yes, baby, you have made me large in places that have never been large! Amos is going through a little withdrawal but he'll be fine once he sees how much fun it is to chase two boys around!

Enjoy your last 7 weeks! Mom's little home for you is not going to be occupied for a very very long time so make sure you soak it all up! These may be your first and last McDonald's snack sized McFlurry's because once you come we are all on the look-good-naked diet!

Truly,
Mom


Other 2 faithful readers: we need your excitement here so let us know what you think!
Click here to vote

3 comments:

  1. Oh- I am excited and in tears all at one time!! What a sweet special note to a sweet special boy. I am excited for you on so many levels and selfishly I am excited to watch as you and Daddy B become amazingly capable parents of two... so that I will think its possible one day! I just can hardly wait to meet him! What color will his hair be? Will he have hair? Will he look like Brooks? Will his cry sound like Brooks or all his own? What time of day will he pick to arrive? I could go on and on... it is SO EXCITING!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had 2 girls and 2 boys and guess what ...you love them all unconditionally like God loves us. It is just natural. (Now there are times when you don't "like" their behavior but you love them no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy, you are one of the best moms in the world and I have learned so much about loving my little boy from you. I am so happy for you and know you will ease into being mama of 2 with much grace. I am so very thankful to know you better through blog-world, and so wish I could be your face-to-face friend to glean more wisdom from you. You are doing a great job! Much love!

    ReplyDelete