Friday, December 9, 2011

The great, the bad, and the plain ugly

THE GREAT
I don't need any words to show you the good around here. It's real good like I said last week. Happy toddlers and lots of seasonal things to do as a family. These truly are the moments to live for and the ones that get you through the not so great ones below.
Happiness in a candy cane from Santa!
We take nightly drives to look at lights. This is a house around the corner and there are 127 blow inflatable Christmas items. Holy power bill!
Last weekend we went to the Christmas parade downtown. We rode the "choochoo" there (MARTA) and the boys loved the bands and the floats. Great family tradition in the making!
We wrestle in bed. I love to come around the corner and hear these two laughing at each other. I stand by my stance no matter how much havoc it has wreaked on my body - that two kiddos close together is wonderful!
We love church during Jesus' birthday season. Brooks loves pointing out the characters to a nativity whenever he sees them. He also loves singing songs at Waumba land at our church. Who doesn't take pictures of their boys in the parking lot after church?
We make Christmas cookies almost daily!(and mommy eats them all)
We go to our favorite neighborhood park even when it's silly cold.

THE BAD
Hand. Foot. Mouth. Ewwwww! The oldest has complained of his "teef" hurting all week and finally Tuesday I figured it out. He had hand foot mouth disease which sounds as bad as it is....little sores on the hands, feet, and the worst - in the mouth. Poor guy. He has eaten milkshakes and oatmeal for 5 days now and he won't talk because it hurts so bad. At first the quiet was really (really) nice but after a morning of the silent treatment I really missed his innocent questions and comical observations. But dont worry - he has made sounds.....lots and lots of whining! I have prayed that his sores would heal quickly and that the little little guy would miraculously escape this sickness. Not to mention, yesterday I did see that on top of the sores he is getting his big ole two year molars in the back of his mouth. Sign me up for a root canal instead. I can't imagine the discomfort! Hopefully this weekend his spirits will perk up and he'll talk to us again. Just pathetic......
But...a popsicle for breakfast isn't soo bad, right?

THE VERY VERY UGLY
Even though this one is just nasty on the scale of nastiness - it doesnt overshadow the joy of the first one. Yes folks, the inescapable, despicable, torturing insomnia! I won't talk long on this because I on't want to give it that much credit in our lives. The hard part is that the nightmare of this past year is so recent so one night off and all of the old weighty emotions come flooding back pretty quickly. Im on night 4 now of less then 3 hours of sleep a night. The good thing is a body can actually function (though pretty wearily) on that little sleep. The bad thing is there is truly no reason for it and I spend 98% of my brain power during the day and night trying to figure out the cause and there just isn't one that I have found. I am tempted to call all the doctors again today but I also recall the anxiety that a flurry of doctors can cause on a person not sleeping well. Last night was the worst and I think I finally dozed off to the 2nd round of Christmas vacation somewhere after 5 this morning. I know that for the majority of the last 10 weeks I have enjoyed sweet sleep again so the worry isn't there (yet) but I can honestly say that the hardest thing I may ever have to do - is somehow convince myself to just accept this situation and not try to fix it. I exercised hard yesterday, got outside, relaxed before bedtime, didn't fall asleep on the couch, didn't drink caffeine after noon....you name it....but somehow the moment I lay down my body and mind turns on like I am going on the night shift or something. I am more than grateful that I don't also have the mess of medicines mixed in this ugly, ugly thing so that is the thought I will try my best to hold on to today. God knows my mess and though I may never be "healed" I know He won't leave me. And I do believe that He can make beautiful things out of even the ugliest of situations. My strength comes only from you today, Lord. And a little morning coffee. :)

1 comment: