Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The not so glamorous part of working from home

In my past typical work environments I was one of those employees that worked for lunch. I loved it when my tummy started to remind me around 10am that in an hour I could start thinking about lunch and then soon after I could actually partake. The truth about most girls as you may know is that, yes, we do think about food all of the time. I go to bed excited to fall asleep quick so I can eat breakfast seemingly sooner.
My previous employer fed me lunch often because of the many events that were held in the building. And there is nothing better than lunch than a free lunch. A free lunch means Houstons plus a fudge brownie and spinach dip or Taqueria Del Sol for dinner....with cheese sauce and a margarita because of the savings earlier in the day. If lunch wasn't brought in than everyone walked to the CNN center together to pick something up. This was truly a glorious hour or hour and a half. Often I did feel bad because of the lack of work that surrounded the lunch hour. In all fairness, the lunch hour at this job was a lunch period comsuming at least 2 hours and fifteen minutes.

My job before that was located in a prime area within the Perimeter. 1 mile in any direction produced a mecca of fooding options for my 2nd meal of the day. I wouldn't even allow myself to think of food until atleast 11:50 because there were so many options. My mind could have wondered through each of the menu's for hours just trying to narrow it to 3. Plus, I worked for myself essentially so I didn't feel as bad about a lunch gone long.

Well, today, I ate black bean mash. Literally. Black beans and some sauteed onions and peppers all mashed together and cooked with a little cheese. The whole cuisine cost me about 32 cents. I just can't fathom spending $4 in gas to go get a $4 sandwich or burrito. More so, I am paid by the hour so even 15 minutes away (or writing for that matter) make my $4 lunch turn into a $20 lunch. And...my only colleague is Amos, the dog. He loves to eat people food but it just isn't the same. So I am left to eat black bean mash. If you really feel sorry for me - I am available for dinner.

Back to work and dreams of a yummy dinner. Those thoughts will atleast get me through the afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Betsy! I found your blog and have been keeping up with you and B-Rad! Hopefully, when I move to Atlanta in October we can hang out. Question: What is you new job? Sounds fabulous to me. By the way, Amos is sooo cute!! Give Brad a hug for me. Call me when you head south.
    Jenny B.

    ReplyDelete