Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Brad, please employ me as your housewife!


I must be quick. The chili is cooking and the muffin timer is about to ding. I thought I would start my campaign early in hopes of a successful outcome....
You see....I have grown to love doing chores around the house. Today I have some of my favorite tunes on the ipod speakers. I am still in my pajamas (well, Brad's over sized t-shirt if that counts) and I am cooking and cleaning. I just love having things to do around the house and having the time to do them. I know often you hear of many women talking about needing 25 hours in a day. I don't necessarily need more hours - I just need to stay unemployed. This week is my last week before I start working again. I have had 6 weeks out of the working world and sadly, it took me 4 to just to realize that I had nothing to do and to start to enjoy it. I am on my 3rd load of laundry. The tree is mostly trimmed and I have been making some of our our favorite chili this morning (compliments of my dear friend Meredith). I've done half of our Christmas shopping and when there are chores to be done I have myself scheduled to volunteer at the front desk of the church. I know this job doesn't pay and, yes, I feel uber guilty about not contributing to the family budget right now but can I just confess....I am happiest at home...making it cozy, hanging things, mixing things and planning things. And, this my friends is a HUGE statement! 5 years ago when I was fresh into the financial sector you couldn't have paid me to stay home by myself and clean the toilets or cut coupons. Thankfully, this little thing in my tummy and God's goodness in just helping me be content right where I am have contributed to this welcomed mind shift. So, for your enjoyment....here is a pic of me at home....doing what I do....cutting onions with ski goggles on. Hey - does anyone know a better way to keep from crying when cutting onions? Please share. And...lastly, a recipe from sweet Meredith. Yummy!

Sincerely,
Happy at home

Mere'sTurkey Chili

1 lb ground turky

1 med red onion diced

3 cloves garlic/minced

1 Tbsp olive oil

1 red pepper chopped

2 cans diced tomatoes (w/green chiles)

2 cans pinto beans

1 tsp cumin

2 tsp chili powder (I usually do 1 1/2 cuz 2 is really spicy)

pinch of salt & pepper to your taste



Saute onion, garlic, and red pepper in oil for 2 mintues. Add ground turkey until all turky is cooked through. Add tomatoes, beans, and all spices. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add salt and pepper.

4 comments:

  1. I love this Betsy!!! OH, and subbing out black beans for the pintos makes this YUMMO!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this post! I'm glad you're having fun at home and having fun with your little avocado!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy! You are hilarious -- LOVE the goggles! Congratulations on the bun in yo oven! :) xoxo~paige

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute look Bets!
    I LOVE avocados!!!!

    Run the onion under cold water as your peel it and cut it....then you will not need goggles. Also hold a match in your mouth between your teeth and you won't cry! Good luck and keep happy!
    love Mom

    ReplyDelete