Tuesday, December 16, 2008

TAG! I'm it!

My favorite person living on an island has tagged me for some Holiday fun. I love anything cheesy having to do with the most splendid time of year so here it goes.....6 quirky things about me during the Holidays.....

1) Even before there was a bun in my oven I loved to walk over to Phipps Plaza across the street and see all the little toddlers scream on the real Santa's lap. Did you know the Phipps Plaza Santa is the real Santa? Last year for my first Christmas as a Bagwell we walked over with our Starbucks and sat on the spiraling steps above Santa's chair just watching the 5 years olds leap onto Santa's lap while the little 2 year old pig-tailed girls wailed and kicked their legs as long as it would get them away from that scary man. It was sad.....we couldn't leave the spectacle despite the embarrassment of the young parents.

2) My mom used to truly dress us in puff painted sweatshirts that I had made and attempted to sell at a garage sale..with no luck. We would also pack some eggnog and grab a candle and hit the streets of Oaklanding...our neighborhood in Tampa, Florida. Now, I was in the choir and I sang in the shower thinking there was promise in my ripe new voice but soon I would discover that singing was not a talent I had been given. Nonetheless, I would carol along with my younger siblings and our next door neighbors. I won't lie....every single year I have the itch to round up some buddies and knock on the doors in Brookhaven. I loved this tradition with my mama....and maybe it only happened a time or two but it has stuck with me! Fa la la la la la la la la!

3) My memories of my childhood Christmas's are all seen through rose colored glasses. Last year my sweet brothers quickly put out the fire in my eye as I told stories to Brad of our lovely Christmas traditions. I remember mommy singing all season long as she baked cookies and pecan pies while dad hummed to the "winter wonderland" as he hung the gleaming star from the tree. Meanwhile, the kiddos and I were playing happily with our train set and watching the 18th hour of a Christmas Story. CRASH....BAM! Ruined......Last year the boys truly tried to ruin any merry memory I had stored in my happy memory bank. They recalled our hatred for going to mass as a family Christmas morning. They reminded me of my grumpiness in the morning when I was old enough to know a thing or two about Santa and they were busy leaping for joy in their onsie pajamas with feet on them. They said I pouted when I didn't get what I wanted and that the beautiful breakfast that I remembered dad making every Christmas morning was really the result of mom and dad arguing over who made better grits. Ouch! This year I will leave my memories tucked happily inside let them warm my thoughts and my heart. No more bah humbug for me!

4)Wassail. 9 out of 10 of you do not know what I am talking about. You'll have to find out. All I know is my sweet granddad used to have himself a cup or two and sit with a huge smile in his big chair. Wassail is dad's concoction. He never really tells the exact measurements of all the spices but he says he is the perfect wassail maker. I loved the smell even when I was a mere tweenager. I knew there had to be some "happy sauce" in the steaming pot of joy and I knew a 12 year old probably should stay clear but I never did. And that's the thrill of a big ole family.....no one ever knew and I guess if they did they never cared. Dad used to sing (or maybe this is one of those "rosy" memories....) "Here we go a wassailing - a wassailing we go!"

5) I am anal about Christmas lights on the tree. Last year we had an 8 foot tree and I think we had 20+ strands of lights. This year our tree is a little shorter (and for some reason doesn't smell like last year!) and we probably only have about 15 strands. The little lights aren't twinkling, Russ! I like to wrap each branch with lights and then stuff them back in the back and wrap the next one. I want you to see my tree from across Peachtree and think wow, that tree has a whole lotta lights! This year I was feeling a little first trimester queasiness so I wasn't as involved with the lighting of the tree. I left these duties to my little elves, Brad and Amos. I can't complain because I was half present during the tree trimming but everyday I wonder if Brad would notice if I stuck another 10 or so strands on the tree?? And I don't like colored lights. Will I have to have a tree with colored lights that blink when the little ones come along? Is that a necessity?

6) I secretly have a hard time not spending the night with my family Christmas night. More so, I have an even harder time knowing I won't be here most of Christmas day this year. And, even more secretly, I was bummed that my fam left me out of the Christmas picture this year! I am sure this "quirk" will drop off the list next year as Brad and I have our own little family but for now I just can't let myself think about Christmas lunch without me and Christmas day without me! I thought Christmas doesn't go on if I am not there! You see.... I love watching the boys play with their electronic toys and watching ML as she changes into her new outfits throughout the day. I love watching pieces of a Christmas Story throughout the day while dad sneaks in a nap in the background. I love picking at the leftovers from breakfast until mama gets her perfect lunch on the table. I love going to the movies that afternoon or night and I love seeing all the mess and the paper and bows lie around the whole day while mama attempts to straighten our new things into our own happy piles. I will miss dad's video taping of every possible embarrassing look and I will miss more ML's eyes rolling as dad makes "dad type" comments. Many of my friends know this....I have not been your model wife for learning to "leave and cleave." I have my foot in my new family but I just hate to pull the other one out of my family. This gets easier, right? They say kids help. I am hoping this is true. Luckily this year Brad and I will go over to mama's for breakfast and then hit the road to South Georgia so I'll get a little taste of a Nicholson Christmas.

Thanks, Katie! Love you! The sad thing is I don't have anyone to tag because I don't think too many people but the three of you (who have already been tagged) read this blog (and have a blog, too!) But I'll try....give it a whirl CHARLSIE. (No one make fun of me if she never reads and chooses not to participate.)

No comments:

Post a Comment