Friday, August 29, 2008

The advantages of marrying a Brad

I remember the last two presidential elections for things that probably shouldn't have mattered much. In 2004 I lived right around the corner from my assigned polling place. I was a year out of college and enjoying a house with 3 other girls in the social mecca of Atlanta. I did as every young voter did that morning and treated myself to a grande latte and then went proudly to stand in line. It rained but I had a cute umbrella. Laura Bush was a Theta at Texas and though I would never claim to be the Theta Lady that the sisterhood might have hoped I would be - I would certainly vote for the next president because of his wife's Greek affiliation among other things. I like Texans, too. Any of my friends from Texas happen to be my favorite so it seemed fitting. And, his daughters were my age. They were down to earth and cute and I could see myself being in their shoes as they were now truly old enough to play a real part in the race for the presidency. Jenna B was on the Ellen show sometime this year I think it was. I tivo'd the episode and rewatched it numerous times. I like her alot and I think her wedding was a larger replica of mine (hehe). I know we would be friends. But what I liked most about the interview was her sweet daddy. She called him on the phone and he reminded her that he loved her and made some funny jokes with Ellen. Fortunately, that episode formed my opinion about Mr. B. I liked him. I'd take him as a dad and as a president. Though I don't know all the political reasons why I shouldn't like him - I like that he is a man of faith and ultimately he reports to God. That is what matters. I hate hearing people so publicly blast him. I know he has made mistakes but he is the President and it just makes me so uncomfortable with my own generation that we are so quick to criticize and whine. Anyway, I remember standing in line, in the rain, alone but feeling so empowered by my own vote.

Now the 2000 elections is a completely opposite memory. I remember one girl. I was living in the sorority house. I can truly recall the election season that fall as one of the most memorable times in the house. Yes, that should verify that I was/am a dork. Happily a dork. It was just funny. For the most part the house was unanimous in pledged support for what would be GW's first term. With one exception. There was one outspoken Democrat. Just one. Poor lonely one democrat. I applaud her for having such a strong opinion in the middle of a bunch of Bush lovers. We would sit in the chapter room, snacks and magazines by our side for the nights of counting and recounting votes and just allow the one lonely outspoken girl chat her way through the election. I don't want to say anything more but just a little recall makes me giggle. She is probably on the way home from Denver now.

Well, this election season has brought about a whole new perspective. The boy that lives with me called my husband is super savvy on anything political and even if he really isn't - I believe he is and that is all that matters. He tells me facts about people and politicians that I never knew. Why, Mr. Brad is there a convention? What is a delegate? He can even tell me about senators he likes and doesn't like. I know I sound pretty dense admitting that I don't know alot of this political mumbo-jumbo but I guess I just don't pay attention. I read Fox news daily and I know about Darfur and the conflict in Georgia and everything about the city of Atlanta's downtown repaving project but for some reason the political scene has escaped me....until marriage.
In November I will get to literally walk across the street to vote. Who else can say that? That is what I am most excited about. In the midst of one of the biggest cities in the country I get to walk out my front condo door and across the street to strike my ballot. How American is that? If only the mail man still hand delivered my mail that might be the one thing more American. Anyway, I am excited. I am actually really intrigued too to stay tuned for my text message about McCain's running mate. Next week will conclude four straight weeks of no sleep for Brad and I. Good thing the olympics and the elections are only every four years.

3 comments:

  1. You make me laugh! Your memories of the last 2 elections reminded me of my own and they are weirdly similar, especially 2000. I remember so many nights of watching the debates on the big screen in the chapter room with all of the other Bush-crazy girls. Despite all the flack he's gotten, I'd still chose him again. :) God bless America and our next prez!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy- it's Keri. McCain's running mate is the FEMALE governor of Alaska. If that doesn't beat all! I am so happy that my kids will be raised in a time when a woman and a non-white man can run for the highest offices in the land. How friggin cool is that. Love to you and the husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful that Brad can give much insight into the complicated voting process and the delegates and politics. He has much wisdom and I am so proud to have him as a son in law.
    I am excited for your 1st. anniversary! The years pass quickly and the love grows with each adventure! Congratulations! I love you both..
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete