Friday, August 15, 2008

Sinking but I love it!

Ever since I heard this song a few months ago the words will not leave my head. They are good words to have my head stuck on so I am not complaining. Certainly better than the recent pop hit stuff that gets caught in my head. Then yesterday someone sent me something that had a clip of every one's idol, Oprah, in which she said in some kind of words that she couldn't be a Christian or something because God says he is a jealous God. He does. There is a lot more context that I couldn't even give you but it is in Exodus, Chapter 20. Hopefully, the 4pm daytime diva did a little more investigating after her statement. I, on the other hand an so thankful for His jealousy.

The words of the catchy song say this:

Written by John Mark McMillan/ASCAP/CCLI/©2005 John Mark McMillan
www.thejohnmark.com

He is jealous for me
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree
Bending beneath the weight
Of His wind and mercy
All of a sudden I am unaware of
These afflictions eclipsed by glory
And I realize just how beautiful You are
And how great Your affections are for me

(CHORUS)

We are His portion and He is our prize
Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes
If His grace is an ocean we’re all sinking
And heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss
And my heart turns violently inside of my chest
I don’t have time to maintain these regrets
When I think about the way
That He loves us

(CHORUS)
What neat words to have stuck in my head, right? Well, I only relay these words because recently I have found a gratitude for His jealousy. Everything in this world and specifically, our affluent society, seems to reach for a piece of my heart everyday. This isn't exclusive to just your typical modern day stimuli like a stone house with a big yard, with a white picket fence, and a fast-flashy car and latest biggest designer sunglasses. Those things are obviously fine and all and they can grab anyone but I am speaking more specifically to even the little things and even the good things. Whether it is time spent volunteering or exercise or success or Starbucks - they can each have their way of becoming our own little, tiny, sneaky idols. So in a world with so much to offer I am so thankful that God's love is a jealous kind. I am grateful that He wants me to be satisfied in Him alone without the help of anything else. I like that He wants all of me. I am comforted that He is not okay sharing my adoration.

The few words that really seem to stick are these: If His grace is an ocean we're all sinking. I am happily sinking in this case and so thankful that I could just drown in grace and be better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment