Monday, November 24, 2008

Down time

I am a professional volunteer, note writer, and random talker to random people in random places these days. No, the man doesn't pay me but that doesn't matter. These are things I like to do. I volunteer at our church, Buckhead Church on Monday afternoons. These are my most structured hours during the week. I love structure and oh how I miss it on a regular basis. I know, I know...many of you - my "board of directors" I would call you - know that I usually abhor structure and prefer chaos but the grass is always greener, right? I need structure! I need to know where the staples are and I need to know there is someone to tell if the internet is down and I need to plan on the Thanksgiving lunch at the office the way I planned on the same lunch last year. But this year is just different. You don't need too many staples to send letters to people. If the internet gets sick Amos is no help and there is certainly no "office" party at my home office. A year ago I may have told you flexibility was what I was seeking but I was so young and so naive and so new to the non-structured world. Anyway, Mondays are great. There are rules and there are ways to answer the phone and literally 98% of the time I have had the answer! It helps that I have volunteered in about every area in my church and if not I know the person who runs the area so I typically have answers. You wouldn't believe some of the questions I get during my 3 hours at the front desk. Really, you wouldn't believe them. Next time we have coffee ask me. They are ludicrous...not all of them but enough of them to make me feel like I was a part of some drama for the day.

So when I am not volunteering I am dining. Usually with a companion but sometimes these days - all alone. Typically Taco Bell is my place of choice when I am all alone. Since I am without employment I vowed to Brad that any lunches I eat out would come out of my $50 I make a month teaching exercise classes. He likes this idea. To stretch that fifty bucks though I have to do a lunch or two at the Bell. $1.06 is all I need unless I get crazy and order two bean burritos! Crazy! I have enjoyed my coffees/lunches/mid-afternoon coffees with friends during this season of ample down time. I actually have a running list of those conversations in the grocery store that go like this....
ME "Oh my gosh, we really should get together.."
"We really should."
Me "Yeah, we really should. Gosh, when was the last time we tried?? April?"
"Yes, April. But this time lets really get lunch. I mean really."
ME "Perfect. I'll email you"
And then you get one of those looks like "Sure. See you next year."
Oh, but then I do email that afternoon! I love it. I love having the time to follow through with my friendly offers! More so, I love actually doing something that I say I want to do. That gives me good feelings all over.

And, with all due respect, I do get a little more cleaning done with this excessive downtime. The dishes get put in the washer immediately and I have relieved Brad of his bed-making routine in the morning (normally because I am still in it) which I know makes him a little lighter on his toes the whole day through. I keep a running list of the places in my house that need attention. You see, marriage is a funny thing. Brad's closet is color and size coded with certain sections for pants, shirts, and "other". My closet is a plethora of every article of clothing ever purchased or donated to me since my sophomore year in high school (just in case that shirt comes back in to style). Admittedly, there is usually a shirt or two with no owner as I have lived with many girls in the past and half of my clothes are missing and I am sure half of theirs have once graced my closet. Brad often suggests that he will take a Saturday to super-organize my closet as well. I just shut the door and tell him he is crazy...my closet is the model of organization (in my own unique way.) So that is just one of them. I need to organize and clean out my closet but there just isn't that much down time...right???

And here are just a few other things that occupy me these days:
*Worrying about things I can't control. I am good at this one (despite the fabulous sermon on "worry" posted below.)
*Checking realtor.com just in case there is a house that needs to be bought or rented in February. Good to start early.
*Glancing at ajcjobs.com for only 24 seconds just to see if the title of the first job post reads, "BETSY, WE NEED YOU!"
*Calling my mama every hour and forty five minutes to ask her how to boil chicken or cook broccoli or how many cups of water are needed to boil eggs?
*Searching recipes.com and epicurious.com for new recipes that one day I might try when I enjoy cooking again.
*Looking through drawers for things once lost. Brad's red Georgia hat, my old sunglasses, the camera battery. I will NEVER give up!
*Organizing my inbox with colors to indicate the category of the email. I know...this is pretty bad.
*Writing a list of things I want in case anyone ever asks me walking down the side walk what I want today?
*Floss my teeth. Alot.
*Writing lists of baby names. This is a fun activity. I started this list in 7th grade. Every girl does. I am just glad I found mine in time......In time for what you might ask....
*In my down time I am enjoying growing a BABY! Yep, a little Bagwell Baby will grace our family late May of next year. He/she is the biggest surprise that has ever befallen me or Brad. We are thrilled. Now, we are thrilled. It's been a funny few months as we wrap our arms around this news but God has continued to open our hearts to welcome a new person to the world! CRAZY! Of course there is much to write on this subject and that will come but we figured it was time to let the world know...we'll be PARENTS!!!!
*Oh, and I mustn't forget...I enjoy looking up new words to expand my vocab these days. This will be valuable one day....I just know it. Yes, I am certainly loving my down time.

1 comment:

  1. Betsy,
    Found your blog on from your FB page, I think. I have enjoyed reading your thoughts and adventures!! Congrats on the new baby!! Motherhood is an awesome journey!!

    ReplyDelete