Monday, November 3, 2008

Tis the season

I drove around Thursday night after Brad and I had dinner together and parted ways. I drove through the large, picturesque neighborhood across the street from us. First, though, I got a signature hot chocolate from Mr. Starbucks and I found my cd I made last year of Christmas songs. These aren't your over the top "I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus" type Christmas songs but the ones that just get my heart stirring for a little mistle toe, cold weather, and lights on the trees. Sufjan Stevens authors many of them....Holy, Holy, Holy and Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing. Songs with more than enough joy to get you feeling all giddy about the season to come but also just enough tranquility to help you relax and not get so anxious about trees and shopping and lights and crazy family gatherings. Anyway, this night I just needed to feel Christmas so I went and found it. Apparently these days many homes decorate for halloween like they do for it's neighboring holiday. There were orange lights in trees and lanterns placed in windows. There were circles of little ghosts planted in yards. Since it was the night before Halloween I even caught several families carving their pumkin in the front lawn. I turned my tunes up a little louder and sipped away at my hot chocolate. I am sure husband was a little concerned as I should have been following him home from dinner (since we met eachother as he was coming from work). I didn't think twice though....I was in heaven. I could start to feel crisp fall air on my cheeks with my windows down and the piercing red leaves of every 4th or 5th tree just made me melt. You see, I love these next few months. I love everything about them. This year I have been especially anxious for my most beloved time of year to arrive. I think it is something about change. Not Obama type change but real change - God given change in the colors of the trees and the sky. The steep change in temperature. The change in priorities with lots of family time in the works surrounding Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. And the change of pace. Maybe it isn't true for everyone but I feel like even as calendars get more packed....my ability to truly savor my hot chocolate or hold onto the notes of Christmas hymns sung at church and the desire to just sit and be with family - all increases.
Just like the stores in the mall, every year I anticipate this favorite time of year even more. I'm excited to actually have some "annual" traditions between Brad and I now that we get to experience our second fall season together. We will certainly go see A Christmas Carol at the Alliance. The first day of the best Santa's arrival at Phipps we will walk over and watch all the kiddos and their families tell him their wish lists. We also plan to visit the Atlanta History Center again for the caroling and the lights. Oh, I am just so so happy for the change in the air. What a perfect time of year! Let the leaves turn and fall and let the temperatures drop for 'tis the season.....though maybe a little early!

No comments:

Post a Comment