Thursday, March 5, 2009

Nails and toes. Nails and toes.

Monday I had a snow day, too. I was set to tutor a middle schooler that I have been tutoring for several months that afternoon. When I pulled into the school parking lot it should have been obvious that no one was anywhere to be found but it just didn't occur to me that the light dusting of snow on Atlanta roads would keep the kiddies away from school so I waited and waited. Then, I finally see grounds keeper shoveling the 1/2 inch of snow at the back of the parking lot and it hits me - NO SCHOOL!! Other than the frustration of having to reschedule yet again I was thrilled to have a snow day, too!

I texted Mr. Brad and told him I was going to treat myself on my snow day and that is just what I did! I am extremely low maintenance when it comes to personal grooming. I work .45 miles from my condo and without fail I am 10 minutes late to work and I am usually sporting wet hair. Why? You ask? Because I stink with "timing" and I hate to take longer than 9 minutes to get ready - head to toe. So whether that means no shower or wet hair all day I usually decide to get dressed 10 minutes before I am set to be somewhere. Hopefully a kiddo will help with this awful tendency???

Anyway, it is rare that I treat myself to any service having to do with my personal up-keep. I can't even keep a hair appointment because if I don't go the moment I want to then I don't want to go again til I get that internal hunch. (Is that how you spell hunch? ) But on this day - I was out of body because it was a snow day! I strolled into New Nails and Tan in Sandy Springs like I was a regular. The stale smell of rice and teriyaki sauce mixed with a little chemicals took over the place and I knew it would be a pleasant afternoon. The two nail technician's "Holly" and "lilly" started at once gnawing away at my over worked feet and odd shaped nails. And of course they started talking about me in a language I will never know. I interrupted them every 200th foreign word asking them questions just so I didn't start to get self -conscious that they were really talking about me and my big feet and over sized big toe! My Nana always said that I should never be ashamed of my big feet and that "someone would marry me anyways." Thanks, Nana.

So, I am there nearly an hour and a half which I think is about 3 times longer than it should take especially when I am the only client my entire stay. But I walk away with two new friends and the prettiest toes and strongest nails I have ever had. I love the prenatal vitamins for that reason - my nails actually grow and my unused-large hands actually look feminine for a change. But more than a pretty set of phalanges(sp?) - I have two new fans of the Rachel Ray show and a whole 3 episodes worth of personal soap opera type drama between sweet "Holly" and "Lilly." Holly "do not lob her husben but she stay with hem for de kidz." That's not ebonics or making fun of anyone it is just the line I heard over and over from dear Holly as she over filed my nail. She has three kids at home and is the size of Popeye's Olive minus a few inches but I could tell she has a huge heart - especially when it comes to her family. Lilly was a little more concerned with her lunch than Holly's drama but she certainly tapped in when she had an opinion.

Anyway, I left so happy. I was happy to have been able to listen to my new friends gab about their lives for 90 minutes. The good thing is the whole while they were telling me stories of their kids and their backgrounds - I was getting my calves massaged and you know how that feels! I could have let them talk to me for hours! More so, my toes look so happy and springy and they are now ready for a cute pair of wedge sandals that I need to find. It sure is a treat to do something out of the ordinary occasionally. Hopefully my bright toes will bring on the brighter skies and warmer weather! Baby is ready for flip flops and sundresses.....he knows that is much easier on mommy than boots and warm pants that don't truly fit!

Yay for the time change this weekend and the proposed 75 degree weather! I AM SO HAPPY!

No comments:

Post a Comment