Wednesday, September 22, 2010

New mercies each morning

I have felt like a big haired sweet grandma lately. (Neither of my grandmas have big hair and nor do they come to mind when I describe the lady I am picturing). It's more like your sweet granny that makes her own jelly and has a home remedy for everything and could spend every moment at church or the beauty parlor. You see, every day I have made the comment that "God has given me new mercies each day" and yes, I coined it from the lady I am talking about and it has truly been my theme song each day these last several weeks.
Today my new mercy is the extra piece of chocolate pound cake that one of my grandmothers sent home with my mom yesterday. It has made the perfect pre-breakfast snack during the perfect up-before-everyone-else kind of morning. Praise God for chocolate cake!
Yesterday my little mercy was the sheer fact that I had fallen asleep on my own the night before and therefore, spent one less night than I had expected roaming the house wondering when the insomnia might truly be gone. And once again today, I woke up after more than 6 hours of sleep in a row! This sounds normal to most of you but to a few of you that have walked this journey with me you know this is a huge gift for me. I haven't seen more than 4 hours of sleep in a row without taking any medicine to fall asleep in over two months. Can I get an Amen?
Despite walking through this bittersweet season of life (sweet of course because of the natural joy a newborn brings to a heart and of course bitter from this ongoing battle with insomnia) I have truly felt rested and my heart has been at peace.....all because of the mercies - big and small - that I get each new day and each new morning. Sunday was a rough day all the way around in our house. The whole house didn't sleep and it was obvious from the clothes stuffed in corners, the diapers on the floor, and the spit up and other bodily excretions all over me and Brad and the house. Yummy. I'll never forget that day. We were falling apart all day long and the more we tried to pull ourselves together the more we fell apart. But leave it to Super-Dad to salvage our day and the weekend. He put on his Mr. Rogers sweater and reminded me and the boys that attitude is 98% responsible for our outlook, while circumstance is the other 2%. The circumstances this particular Sunday were not favorable but our attitude was footloose and fancy free. We got out of the house and even snuck in a 20 minute nap in the car on the way to the park (yes, all of us....windows down napping in the car in a parking lot). Brad and I were able to enjoy a nice dinner (even though one of the babies had to sit through dinner in his diaper due to the above mentioned excretions) and that night we got the house back in order and vowed to start anew the next day.
So, yes, Brad, I agree....attitude is everything and I have been so grateful for your refreshing attitude lately. Yes, things are a little hectic around here lately. Things aren't in their right places and there is little quiet time to be found but I know this is just a season and soon enough we will wonder where the watermelon-stained clothes have gone to and where the nose and commotion went? Soon enough these boys will be picking me up and putting me where they want me (as my sweet mother in law has reminded me) and we'll both have a little less say-so in our day to day agenda.

Oh, yall, I am so grateful that God gives me the grace enough each day to handle exactly what the day may hold. Thank you for each new morning and each new mercy and for the lack of guilt I feel as I finish off my pound cake.

1 comment:

  1. Yum, chocolate pound cake! I think you should do one more post with a little more detail (beer bottles in the bathroom!!!). Love you : )

    ReplyDelete