Thursday, September 9, 2010

There is an App for that

Friday afternoon my sugar daddy did about the coolest thing he has ever done and I have since become about the coolest mom on the block.

You see, prior to Friday I didn't care at all about technology. I'd be fine not owning a television and I'd still own the first version of a cell phone - you know the brick looking one in a bag - if it weren't for my clumsiness with anything of value. But when Brad came walking in the door last Friday about to pull the biggest surprise he has yet to pull - my archaic ways went out the front door. I am now the proud owner of an iphone. Let me say that again - I have an iphone. I don't know how to do anything on it except take a picture and send it to poor grandmothers who have always said they want more pictures but didn't know that meant I would send them a photo every half hour of B eating a banana, kissing his brother, trying to tie his shoe, walking down the stairs, eating a snack, smiling, not smiling and everything else in between.

Granted, I was really hoping for a new pair of shoes should I have found any extra cash laying around but I am more giddy that daddy-o took it upon himself to surprise me with a gift that I didn't pick out. I have worn the same 2 pairs of shoes throughout my two pregnancies and though the condition is still pretty good - I don't want anything to do with anything maternity anymore. But the shoes can wait. In fact, I am sure there is some kind of App that will actually find the perfect pair of shoes for me and notify me when they have arrived on my doorstep. Seriously - there is an app for everything! And...I am now convinced that any nursing mama MUST have an iphone to get through the middle of the night feedings. William and I read important things about the world (ie - catch up on blogs) and we work with numbers (play suduko) in the wee hours of the morning and I know we are smarter from this activity. Then today Brooks found an app to entertain him during our walk outside and though he turns the sound off every 34 seconds - he is sure to learn some new words with the Baby Flash card app. I was convinced that this was the ultimate of gifts today when I downloaded Pandora Radio during our walk and I listened to some uplifting music for the last 20 minutes of my walk. The sun was out, the boys were sleeping, I was pushing 80 pounds up hill and visualizing my shrinking waist line all the while the iphone was on overdrive - singing to me, calculating my calories burned and miles walked, informing me when very important emails had been sent my way, and taking a picture or two every so often just to capture the perfect moment.

Thank you, dear husband, for knowing exactly what I needed to get me through this adventure with two under two. I'm forever a believer in your zany quest for the newest/latest high tech gadget of the moment. Is there an app to remind you to surprise me like that again in a few months? I love surprises more!

2 comments:

  1. I thought for so long I didn't need/want an iPhone either Betsy...till I was given one as well by father in law and now I can't live without it....those Apple people know what they are doing when they made those esp. for us mommies that don't have much time to sit down at computer to check our email!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one now too. It is way too techno for me - my last phone was $19 and I loved it and it loved me by never breaking down until I dropped it in the toilet. I want to know how to get these apps - yours sound fun!

    ReplyDelete