Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Bagwell's are 2!!!



Two years ago today I was waking up to the most perfect morning a bride could ever have ordered. Her groom was off being a boy with her brothers and his chosen men...playing golf, eating soul food in Athens, and anticipating a lady in white later that evening. Her parents and parents-to-be were mingling over a home cooked breakfast at the Inn nearly an hour from the craziness of city life. The air was no warmer than 60 degrees and the many farm animals across the way were all making their morning noises. And I was the bride that morning, enjoying my favorite time with my favorite people (who happened to be the "maids" of the day) over coffee and a warm muffin. You would have thought we had nowhere to be that day. I'm not kidding, every detail of that day was perfect...yes, even the overflowing septic tank as somehow that added to the story of the day. The fall flowers were in their prime and the sky was the most pristine blue. Truly everything that day sang of God's glory.

Two years later I awakened to a fresh pot of coffee, a perfect hand written note from the boy that said yes to me that day, and a book that I had been coveting for my coffee table (though we promised no gifts this year!) I've put a few more items in their spots and the melodies from my ipod this morning sing again of God's glory and goodness. Oh, and the baby is asleep which just adds to these few perfect morning hours. I am grateful today for the mystery of marriage. At times I feel like I get it and I fully understand the intricacies of this sacred union....and just when I do some terrible little thing inside of me forgets that there are 2 people in this thing or my pride takes over and once again I am left wondering just how all of this works. I know one thing for certain and that is that in Christ all things hold together. When things are falling apart in our household it is only because I eliminate Christ from the center of our marriage or worse, I look for Brad to be my savior. It is when I am needy and clingy and I forget that Christ is the only one who can fill my needs that things crumble. Unfortunately, this happens too often. Fortunately, I married someone who knows that I am going to do this and who knows that the things that come out aren't always the best representation of me. Somehow he sees the best and doesn't choose to dwell on my not so sweet traits. This is that refreshing taste of agape or unconditional love. I am grateful that he sees my heart, my passion, and the me that God created above my weaknesses, my pride, and the "me" that the world has molded.

It was such a rejuvenating weekend as we witnessed my brother say "I do" to his beautiful bride. The preacher reminded us that apart from Christ in a marriage - there really is no marriage....rather, two people just trying their hardest to hold it together. Happy 2 year anniversary, Mr. Brad! Thank you for putting up with me and continuing to dream with me.....It seems hard to dream when there is a little guy around and added responsibilities but I am so thankful that you don't let that stop you! Cheers to a fun 3rd year! 3's a charm.........

4 comments:

  1. Your words inspire me Betsy. I wish I could write like you. You should seriously consider a job writing articles for some sort of publication some day! I love the part in this post about how the minister reminded you "that apart from Christ in a marriage - there really is no marriage....rather, two people just trying their hardest to hold it together."
    I MISS YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!!!! 2 years and many more to come....True ..Christ centered relationships work best.
    Love you, MOm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Betsy!! Your wedding was so wonderful and I am happy to have shared it with you...May your third year be blessed as you settle into a new home and town and "leave and cleave" more than ever...It will be good! I found a "settling" in the third year of marriage that has been comforting and peaceful. Maybe it has just taken me this long to get used to the "marriage" thing and really accept it and embrace it for the gift from God it truly is, although we will never understand the mystery of it and never be without NEEDING grace from God and our husbands daily...Love to you guys on your anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring! Congrats to you and Brad- you are a fantastic couple!

    ReplyDelete