Monday, August 9, 2010

Still here

Here are a few not-so-tall tales from our weekend. I'll be brief (or maybe not since I literally have NOTHING else to do but deliver a person to the world. Literally, there are no more frivolous things I can put on a to-do list at this point. I've brushed the dogs' teeth, wiped down the window sills, and, rewashed every piece of newborn clothing just to keep the Dreft smell fresh on the laundry. Therefore, I will pass this precious time that I could be growing a newborn outside of the womb and getting back to some kind of normal by comically looking at the weekends' adventures.)

Let's just say this.....we would have made a great sitcom this weekend.

Saturday we had made no plans because we all had the same premonition - that we would be lounging at Northside hospital enjoying an Einstein bagel (because we both can't wait for someone to bring us Einsteins in the morning....just like our experience with the first born. Yes, it's the little things!) Because we weren't at the hospital and we weren't having a baby we tried to act as if everything was as normal as it should have been. We finally made it to our vacation home, aka - my parents house - in Marietta, Before heading to the pool we put B down for a nap in his crib in their house. He has it better over there than he does in his own house, mind you. We shut the door and went away as usual, knowing that after 15 minutes of baby babble we could expect a good/long afternoon nap. Brad and I headed to the back porch to soak in the sun we were missing while we left B to (hopefully) sleep. I'll admit - we let 30 minutes go by before we went to make sure the little guy was asleep only to find we were locked outside. All the while, I had been counting contractions on the back patio and joking with my laid back husband about how humorous it would be if labor finally began when we were now 40 minutes away and in bathing suits. Panic set in and though I was trying to act calm, my legs were shaking, my heart was racing, and for some reason the contractions seemed to come stronger. Brad starts stating the obvious....my parents are an hour away, they aren't answering their phone, our keys are in the house, all the while Brooks could be swinging from the curtains (luckily, that was our one peace of mind - that we knew he was in the crib and though he may not be happy he couldn't get anywhere!) Of course the 95 degree heat added to the (now laughable) moment. Anyway, mom finally called us back and asked if we had tried a credit card to get into the door - it's now been 45 minutes and for some reason the good ole' fashion robbery trick hadn't crossed our minds. My parents house may have a super duper alarm and seem impossible to enter to the average intruder but give Brad a credit card and we are professional burglars! In one swipe we were in the door and bolting up the stairs to see the little man talking from his crib. I have never wanted to see my baby's face so bad in my life! I am so thankful for those plastic cards that usually just get me in trouble!

Saturday night we did the unthinkable when you are 39 weeks pregnant. We were offered to go see the Braves play the Cubs with some new friends. We had been wanting a date night and we had both been hoping to see a Braves game before the baby arrived and I needed to try the spicy food trick so this allowed us to check yet three more things off our list (no wonder the baby hasn't come yet....the list never goes away!) Mom offered B to spend the night (and promised she wouldn't lock him in the house alone like we did) so we were off without the little guy and with some major adrenaline! Brad wore jeans and a long sleeve shirt. I love him to pieces so this is why I add this unnecessary detail. Who, but my fashionable husband wears their football tailgate gear to a summer Braves game? Also, he had lost his iphone earlier that day and he had the jitters all the way to downtown Atlanta. I didn't know someone could have such cell phone withdrawal but he certainly proved me wrong. Anyway, we ate tons of our favorite spicy food at Taqueria Del Sol and then headed to the Ted where we decided that we would name this boy Hank or Ted if labor should begin that night.
Of course while we were sitting in traffic to park this stubborn (yet lovable) little guy started acting up like he hadn't before. My legs began shaking and I was really loopy and unable to focus. So of course I began thinking the worst....woman delivers baby in back of new friends 4Runner on Capitol Avenue. Woman delivers baby in the parking lot at the Braves game while eating boiled peanuts and doing the tomahawk chop. But really what was worse for me because of my personality was - woman embarrasses herself in front of her new fun friends as she apparently pees in her pants on the way to the braves game (don't you think "water breaking" could easily be construed as wetting my pants?)
The power of the stork was with us once again as we made it to our prime parking spot (valet I might add) and headed into the stadium only 5 innings late. During our walk to our seat I was looking for any trusting person that I might need to grab to deliver my baby while also calculating the quickest and least embarrassing exit for when I would be waddle-running out of there in the next hour as I was the most sure I had been that things were happening in the womb.
I spent 3 innings pacing the hallway of the Diamond level, counting contractions and smiling at the passer byer's who looked at me as if i had stolen something. I tried to make as many friends as possible just in case I burst into crazy-birthing-woman mode and needed some consoling. But alas, we left the game early - wtih me still convinced that this was it.....this was the night - and we made it home with no story, no baby, and only a little embarrassment from the drama I had caused.

So yesterday, I won't lie. I was a little perturbed. In lieu of focusing on the negative, I will just skip to today and assure you that today is better. We've located Brad's beloved 2nd wife - the iphone - it slept on my parents porch over night in the rain. Awesome. I got the most sleep I've had in a week and I almost feel a little hungover from the excess Z's. Oh, and I was awakened mid slumber by the man who sleeps with me (but isn't allowed to touch me ever again) because he claims I was screaming in my sleep. Thank you, Ambien.

Can we please just get on with this little shin-dig, Mr. Stork? We both feel like so much is on hold as we all anxiously await this event. I am ready to see this little boy and love on him like he so deserves! He sure has been pushed around and sat on (literally) for 10 months now and I am sure he knows our words towards him aren't always filled with excitement and joy. I just want him to get here already so I can assure him that he is supposed to be here at this perfect time because thankfully, we know and believe God is the author of our stories.

And that is how I will conclude. God, I am so very thankful that you know this little man's birth date and that you know the exact role he will have in our family and on this earth. This has been a long road for us but I have felt You pull me to my knees in order to slowly open my fingers to Your perfect story for me. I am ashamed at my constant desire to rip the paintbrush from your hands and paint this segment of the picture but I am so grateful that You don't let me have my way. It is humbling to think that You knew exactly what You were doing 10 months ago and You knew the end result would be a more humbled, less controlling, more pliable woman with a heart that belongs to You (and a body that belongs to Northside hospital.)

1 comment:

  1. J and I will gladly bring you one of his special burgers :) Can't believe y'all are on #2 already! Looking forward to meeting him.

    ReplyDelete