Tuesday, November 23, 2010

11.23.10

{18 months and 14 weeks}
Obviously we breed line backers over here. Brooks weighed in today at his 18 month appointment close to 29 whopping pounds. Luckily, he isn't lop-sided though as his height was some number I can't remember but in the 90% which means he is just one thick boy. This shouldn't surprise me - he lives on waffles, hot dogs, and whole milk with an occasional green bean and sweet potato. THe nurse asked me if he was picky? By looking at the kid you would think there is no way he is picky but come share a meal with us and you will see. Actually, I don't even think it is "pickyness" - it is pure stubbornness. I can not believe a human with only 18 months under his belt can be so hard headed. Brooks wants what he wants right when he wants it - no sooner and no later. Hopefully this is just the spell of kidaroos his age - please tell me it is. Please tell me that his "make me want to curse" behavior is as normal as going gray...it comes with the age? Anyone? Because if it isn't normal and if it doesn't go away soon I'm giving him to grandma. I'm not kidding. I am truly baffled by this little guy. I think he has split personalities....a sweet as a strawberry one minute and the next minute he is flinging rice and black beans across the table while crying hysterically - warranting those wonderful looks from strangers that make me feel like I've abused my own child. "No, lady, I didn't touch him with even my finger....He just doesn't want anything I suggest or you suggest for that matter" (now stop starring at me!) THe doctor says his little stunts are quite normal for this age. Once again, I don't remember reading about this in the babies for dummies book. I thought the "Terrible Two's" were just that Terrible at TWO! Of course I have secretly liked that our firstborn has hit his milestones well before the charts might indicate but not this milestone. I was hoping with enough fun-mommy moments and bribes with suckers we would have flown right past this horrific stage. I'm sure my mama was just cackling inside as Brooks flung his cup across the restaurant while attempting to hit me with the other. I am sure I gave her a few blood-rising moments in her young days of being a mom and I guess I am now reaping what I had once sown???? Whatever the cause of this mess - I am not surviving it very well or with much grace. In fact, I left lunch in tears and had to put myself in time-out before I could walk back into the war zone called lunch. You would think I would learn to save lunches and dinners for the privacy of my own home. Public entities are just not ready for the wrath of a tired 18 month old and a one-handed mother (whose other hand is usually bouncing a 3 month old.)

On other more positive notes - both boys were super sweet the rest of the day after a little R&R at grandmas house. William fell asleep in Nene's arms which I am sure just moved him into first place. Mean while, Brooks made up his own game called "pop pop" that consisted of him clapping his hands on the bed and then screaming "pop pop" and falling backwards without any thought of what might have been behind him. Whatever...he was entertained and I was still recovering from the terrible lunch. And on an even more positive note - I cleaned out the mom-mobile today and found enough food crumbs to feed my neighbors three growing boys for a week, my blockbuster card, an overly expensive lip gloss that I just had to have but lost a day later, and a sweet letter from Brad from last fall. I should do this more often....neat little trinkets to be found hiding in the seats of the Explorer! What I loved about this little outing wasn't that I was by myself more than I actually completed a task and just like raking leaves - i could see the results of my work. Gotta love instant gratification! As you have probably concluded from the twisty-turvy direction of my thoughts on this blog - I rarely complete thoughts anymore - let alone tasks. So, even though the rain came 6 minutes after I finished washing my car - I atleast completed the chore in one outing.

For the scrapbook - here are a few more 18 month things I should probably remember:
*B knows a bajillion words so I won't go through the list as many of my better mommy friends have done. If I have said it he has said it whether or not he understands the meaning. For instance, he says "Eee-Iiii-Oooo" if I bring out the camera because I usually sing to get him to smile for a picture. In addition, if I ask where Betsy is he points to himself and says "bet-tey." We'll work on that one....
*My favorite thing he does is his "Goooo dawgs" cheer. He breaks that one out at the most random times - like today after he told me in the car that he had "pu-Poo" (#2) in his pants.
*He can (sort of) run. His friend Caleb can run and it is so cute because he will prompt Brooks to chase him and Brooks sometimes will get geared up enough to chase him but he just can't get his little legs to move that fast. He tried and i guess that is all that matters at this point. He also tries to "jump" but his feet have never left the ground.
*He will climb on anything at anytime and then look at me with those big eyes giving me the "I am going to fall" look and then he falls. Atleast he follows through with things. Hence I have to chase him around the house just anticipating when he might fall forward or backward. Oh to be like a child and be so trusting of anyone?
*He tried to take only one nap but if he falls asleep in the car for 15 minutes sometime before lunch he always seems to have a better day. I blame any of his recent "episodes" on the lack of a nap. I would be fine if he napped until he was 14. The nap is God's little tiny treat for a mother.
*He is wearing 24 month clothing and some 2T stuff. I don't think he has ever actually worn his age. Atleast he can start sharing Brad's clothes soon!
*He loves bubbles, singing, dancing, jumping, climbing, repeating, reading, feeding himself, putting his shoes and clothes on and then taking them off, stacking blocks, playing in his cabinet in the kitchen, watching Bob the builder and "Melmo" and Baby Einstein, eating, drinking, holding onto his cup all day long, and blowing kisses. Oh, and his brother. Brooks is very protective a little Willy-B. He doesn't like other kids even looking at him. It is quite endearing to watch. I am glad he has taken such ownership.
*He tells us (or anyone) when he has used the bathroom in his diaper. I guess this means maybe we should try the toilet thing but I just can't do it. I am exhausted just trying to get time for me to go to the bathroom - let alone anyone else. Maybe next year???
*He has 8 teeth and a few more on the way (definitely behind in this department)
*He had his first haircut at 17 months
*He makes us laugh everyday usually right after he has made me want to pull my teeth out and bang my head on a bed of nails. What a sweet boy!

Happy 18 months baby boy! I hear the next 6 will give us a run for our money so bring it on little (precious) rascal.

And though it isn't your birthday - you are about as big as the 18 month old....and a tad sweeter right now. Happy 14 weeks little mister!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Betsy.

    1. Brooks's eyes and eyelashes could make you some mega money one day. Amazing.

    2. Pics of william make me want another baby. I will pay you to stop posting them!

    ReplyDelete