Tuesday, August 23, 2011

How normal feels

For the past few weeks I have been up before the rest of the house and I am addicted to this routine! I am addicted to the quiet. I am addicted to the morning sun peeping through the tall trees in our backyard as I sit on the back porch with a little coffee. I won't lie - I am addicted to the sleep and consequently, the normalcy that follows the rest of the day. Usually William is already stirring but he must know I am long overdo for some "me" time so he usually babbles pretty softly until I come in to wake him up with a big, "gooood morning, William!" You have to hear Brooks mimic this phrase because it is pretty addictive, too.
Yes, those first few hours of any day (after my few minutes of serenity) where little people are involved are pretty crazy...syrup smeared in the oddest of places, clothes thrown on - usually still dirty or on backwards, and, certainly a few tears and a tantrum in the mix. But I don't mind the tornado start to the day if............I...have...actually...slept!!!!! And for the past few weeks I have actually slept almost like a normal person. I may still call the couch my home just because I hate to keep anyone else awake that may not be so good at being awake but with the exception of about one night a week I have slept like I used to...like normal! Granted, I am sleeping with a small swallow of a pill that has become my "frenemy" but for the time being I am okay with that. I know, I know - you've read of several times on here that I threw out anything chemical - including any multi vitamin or carbonated beverage and I am not ashamed in any way that I have again had to rely on a medicine for what should come un-chemically. It's actually a pretty neat place to be for me. Out of control and truly at a place of gratitude for something to allow me to enjoy my kids during the day, cook dinner for my family at night, and relax once this children are down....things that have come with a fight the last 8 months. So for now, I thank God each night that He created something to help me in this (hopefully) short season of life. For 8 months even medicine wouldn't touch my insomnia and so I am thrilled to have a short period of normalcy with the help of a little pill....and some yoga! There are some pretty annoying day time side effects that come with this freedom but nothing a little exercise and my daily half sweet, half unsweet tea from Micky D's can't cure.
With my newfound normalcy, I have welcomed all the little nuisances that used to distract me and I have craved the monotonous minutia of a day in the life of a stay at home mom with two little boys. Ahhhhh.....I could certainly get used to this!

I am not sure where this path will lead but my hands are open to whatever it may be. I am so full today from the gift of sleep....and with that - a seemingly boring but enjoyable day! The boys are keeping me on my toes these days.....take a look.....

This will be like the game Memory. Here are the captions, now you find the picture! Hey, look at me, I'm at the spa! Colored fun at the Music class for William's birthday. Cheeks! Hi, brother, I WILL be nice to you! When you're around a girl all day - you think high heels are cool! Fun at the doctor's office. A birthday full of all of my favorite meals. That's why we buy blueberries at Costco. I don't care what the chair says, I am sitting here!








.

2 comments:

  1. Yay Yay Yay! SO excited for your sleep. Thank you Lord for giving doctors their minds and for creating medicine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo, Betsy!!! I have been thinking of you sooooo much lately and have prayed that you are sleeping while I am up in the middle of the night!

    ReplyDelete