Monday, August 29, 2011

To grandmother's house we go

Last Friday a miracle fell on our lap and it goes by the name of GRANDMA and BIGDADDY! The boys and I met my in-laws in South Georgia to make the (unfair) swap. Two babbling, mischevious little boys for a weekend with no car seats and sippy cups. I'm not kidding yall...we even drove Brad's car everywhere this past weekend so there was no thought about our sweet little children because even though I don't have a "swagger-wagon" yet my car screams "I'm an old woman and I live in a shoe and have too many kids that I don't know what to do!"

I'd like to report that we slept in late and laid around drinking coffee and listening to good no-kiddo music but we were bad and we didn't do anything we should have done! Instead we cleaned every corner of the house and tried to get ours lives in order after what has been a pretty crazy year. The purging felt so good. The floors felt so good, too, clean and crumb free for atleast two days. For the first time in a long while we both loved our house. It felt like a 6 BR mansion without wet wipes and stuffed animals lying around. Sure enough, as soon as the kids and all of their 27 cars and 4 blankets and endless cups and spoons came back in the door - the house felt like old times...a little cramped (but certainly a tad cleaner!)

Perhaps the most relaxing part of our staycation without kids was riding in the car all-by-myself. I admit, I used to waste alot of time before kids....running in and out of stores with a "necessity" mind set when really I was just curious to check out the latest inventory. More so, I was wasteful with my energy. I think I used to exercise about twice a day - once in the am and then always a walk with Brad at night. Looking back, that seems a little silly to have spent so much time on myself. But this weekend I went right back to my old ways - knowing it was only a weekend that I would have to walk, do some yoga, take a long shower, and exercise until I couldn't move anymore. And then afterwards I just drove and drove and soaked up the eery quiet in the car.

The boys came home yesterday afternoon and trust me - they did not miss us for one second. They were coddled, entertained, and well fed and we are so grateful that they have someone to spoil them! I know that my sweet in-laws enjoyed the boys being with them just as much as we enjoyed the time away and that is what makes it all worth it - it's mutually beneficial! Here are some pictures my sister in law took from the boys first field trip (without mom and dad.) Do we think this could happen every month? (Hint Hint)






1 comment:

  1. Betsy, this is so cute! I know how it feels to be on the other end...the grandparents' end! I also remember how good it would feel to experience what you did with you baby-less break! Hope you're enjoying mothering as much as you sound like you are. I'm so proud of you and Brad. Your family is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete