Thursday, April 5, 2012

Where did we go?

Oh, hey! Yes, were all still here...all 4.5 of us plus a dog and we are doing quite well this Spring. Technichally, we moved 5 miles north of our beloved little abode in Brookhaven but I feel like we are worlds away....atleast for a short season. Our previous home of 2+ years served us very well. We enjoyed the best neighbors turned friends that a family could ever ask for...you know, the kind that intrude a little bit in eachothers lives but the result is so invaluable. The old neighborhood also had more young kids under the age of 5 than any place I've ever known. There were young families everywhere and it surely made it easy to find encouragement as a young mom or dad. The neighborhood park was a toddlers dream and a stay at home mom's source for daily sanity. Our kids rarely stepped foot on the play structures but rather laid claim to a new toy a week that was disposed of by one of the neighborhood residents. ANd our little house was little but perfect for us for two years. I didn't know that sheets could stay ironed if only they had a closet for them. I didn't care that the kithen didn't allow for a whole party to engage in it's space because as it always goes - we all gathered in the small kitchen anyway. And my boys didn't know that they needed a little more running room or a whole basement in order to thrive. They were happy, loved, and they loved coming home to their house every time we were away. I love kids for that reason....always reminding us of the sweeter things in life.
That house in that season were so right for our little family and I know that GOd knew when He planted us there that we would bloom. There were some extremely painful weeks in that little home but even richer moments playing on the floor in the playroom, gathered around the kitchen table, and enjoying the gift of like-minded neighbors on an afternoon in the front yard. I could write a whole post on our neighbors and the special place they have in each of our hearts.

SO, 2.5 weeks ago we moved and I can say the same thing about this new space. From the first day I could tell this would be the right house for our family. Actually, the perfect house. I could list so many little things about this house that cause me to pinch myself daily and they don't have to do with granite counter tops, 10 foot ceilings, and superb crown molding. It is the way we can use this new house....to entertain and to enjoy each other. This house has such a welcoming presence to it and the boys and I have found ourselves not wanting to leave the house at all! What? This is sooooo different than our last house. As much as I loved it I had to get out every morning and afternoon. Here we have spent many days in our pajamas traversing the many stairs, finding things to get into or places to lay around. Oddly enough, this has been so good for me in this new season.

Our new baby should join our family in the next 6-8 weeks I guess and I couldn't think of a better way to spend the weeks - hiding out! The boys are in the most edible stages and unfortunately, no picture or amount of words can adequately capture who they are right now. So luckily for me - I am here with them all day everyday and I've loved getting to experience every ounce of their personalities in this short period before a new little one takes up my free arms.


I've been a part of a mom's bible study at a local church for 2 years now and a mom I know of but do not know very well wrote about this "pull" today. This pull to actually "be" with our kids as opposed to writing about them, snapping photos of them, and taking account of their lives in every way is so intense - especially when there is so much good stuff to chronicle. And ultimately, I love writing more than any past time so it is where I want to spend my time. But right now I just don't have that kind of time. These weeks are too short. The days fly by so quickly and each week brings about new independence that lessens their need for me. I don't want to put my "pen" down one day soon and realize I have a whole blog about our days but I don't really remember them from first hand experience. So, yes, maybe for a little while we are taking a vacation from our old ways and allowing this move and the new season upon us to slow us down. I'm just glad we have stopped before it was too late!


Oh, and these are in our backyard and I adore them. We moved the week everything bloomed. Again...perfect timing!

No comments:

Post a Comment