Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Find

I forgot to post this and the day it happened all I could think about (besides how lucky I was) was the phenomenal post that would come of my incredible find so here it goes....
Nordstrom, aka the one store I could live in and be truly entertained if ever I were to have to live in one store and one store only, aka the place where I want to host my next birthday party, aka the store that causes my husband to have to work extra hours to be able to afford me....well, they have an annual sale. I love their annual sale more than about anything I can think of at the moment (more than chocolate chip cookies at Zoes). Their annual sale discounts new items - not your typical end of season sales like at other not so fabulous stores. Aside from my obsession with Nordstrom, I am also obsessed with zapatos, shoes for you English speakers. Ever since my mama won $200 at Parisians' grand opening when I was in middle school and she let me borrow her Entienne Aigners I have had an unhealthy fixation on shoes. I like to bargain shop too so these two things make the Nordstrom annual sale a feeding ground for temptation.
A few weeks ago I stopped by the sale just to see if there was anything that needed to be consumed. I don't have an income right now nor do I have room for any more shoes in my closet but I just couldn't not check out this years sale. Supposedly there was a pair of Tory Burch flats. Color - gold; size - too big to post on the internet (I am also embarrassed of my disproportionate feet.) Supposedly these shoes were so fabulous that they sold out on the first day. I was asked by the thoughtful sales lady if I would like my name on the waiting list should anyone return these amazing shoes that I had never seen in my size.
Why, of course, thank you for thinking of me, I replied. I felt like a million dollars just because she asked me and I felt like 2 million dollars when she jotted my name and number in her personal book of her favorite shoppers.
A week goes by and by this time I really want these shoes that I had never seen. I'll admit, I don't own any other TB shoes. Brad tried to buy me a pair recently but I just couldn't justify the $200+ price tag for a pair of shoes that sort of remind me of Sam and Libby's (do you remember all of the colors you owned?) And, I like to think that I am not a brand snob. Plus, I do love finding a "find" that no one else can "find" so to pay full price for a shoe just doesn't work. But all I could find myself thinking about were the gold shoes that I had still never seen but had dreamt of for nearly a week now. Well, another week goes by and one quiet morning my phone is jingled by an unfamiliar number. I allow the caller to leave a message and immediately check it only to hear that I have won. My number was called. My ship came in. I can have the cake and I can eat it too! I was the one with the golden ticket....a lady had returned a pair of gold, Tory Burch flats in size LARGE (remember - I'm not telling). I was to call back immediately if I were interested. Sadly, I have the Nordstrom number on speed dial so I hit 4 and asked to be connected to my fairy godmother in the shoe department. The whole while my heart is racing and my stomach is turning. I have never won anything - well, I won the cake walk in kindergarten and picked out a circular cake with the "Dont worry be Happy" face on it but that is the last that I remember. I've never even gotten through on the request line on the radio to have my favorite song played. I was giddy like never before. The lady answered and said she was so glad I called back because there were 31 people on her list for this pair of shoes. I asked if she could hold them until I could get there to try them on (since I still have yet to actually see them) and she said NO. Unfortunately, because of their demand she would have to call the next person on the list.

My credit card number is XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX I said, Ill take them! I wasn't about to let my moment of glory pass my by nor was I about to let some Buckhead Betty get my shoes! I'm not even sure what I won but I had won.....I won I won I won. My name was called and I won!

The rest of the story is par for the course. I go to pick up my shoes and I do in fact love them like no other pair I've owned.....this year.
The funny thing is that my sweet husband and financial support system inquired that day what the charge was to Nordstrom on the Amex.
Funny you should ask, oh husband, I'm not really sure, I said, all I know is my name was called and I am the winner and I couldn't possibly pass up my winnings so I bought a pair of shoes today.

Which pair? I just bought you a pair, he says politely. And is it considered winning if you had to pay for them?

I gulp and reply, I bought a better pair. I gold pair that I can wear year round. And don't ask me anymore questions cause I don't know what they look like. All I know is that I won and I want to enjoy my winning whether or not I know the actual prize, mister.

*Sidenote: Luckily, both the husband and I love the shoes so we all win in this story.

Maybe I should get into this ebay thing if I got such a rush over "winning" a pair of shoes???

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! Ella and I are jealous. We went looking at some Tory Burch sandals last week. She actually grinned at them when I asked her if she liked them. I didn't get them but oh I wanted to!! Maybe I'll go back ....:)

    ReplyDelete