Saturday, August 22, 2009

Oh me, oh my


The picture doesn't do the experience any justice. Thursday night Brad and I went on a date (anything is considered a "date" when the baby is sleeping in his seat in between us) to Corner Bakery. It was certainly nothing too fancy but we did have the place to ourselves and the sweet little worker bees behind the counter waited on us like we were at a fine dining establishment. We sat outside and enjoyed the sound of the cars on Peachtree and we admired the tall buildings and the gussied up gentleman walking arm in arm with high-heeled women into the new and rather swanky, Whiskey Blue at the W hotel. We didn't have to say it but I know we were both thinking that that life seemed worlds away now with the little guy snoring just below us. I think before we leave our Buckhead abode we will go on a real date and have a cocktail at the St. Regis or maybe Whiskey Blue if we are feeling really crazy. I'd love to actually paint my toenails and feel flirty in a dress and heels in this city that I have loved as my home for 6 years now.
On this particular night our little attempt for a casual dinner turned extravagant all with a "business proposition" from the man behind the counter. Brad wanted a Monster cookie to end the night but unfortunately there were none of the over sized cookies with abundant mini M&M's to be found. There was a batch of chocolate chip cookies that had just been popped in the industrial oven. You could smell them the moment we walked in the door. When you have a Monster cookie like Corner Bakery's next to any chocolate chip cookie the Monster cookie always wins though. With a little but of a pout Brad walked back to our table and plopped in his seat looking terribly defeated. "They are out of monster cookies but we will get a fresh, hot chocolate chip cookie in 6 minutes." I thought this was a pretty good consolation but I could tell Brad was unusually bummed. A few minutes pass and the man behind the counter offers us a proposition. He asked if we could wait 10 minutes. I had no intentions for any cookie and I was happy watching the affairs on the street so I smiled and said sure. Brad was already crushed from the first blow so the man's question couldn't push him down any farther (we are serious about our cookies around here!). "In 10 minutes Ill have a fresh batch of monster cookies and Ill give you both one if you don't mind waiting." Sweet! Two for the price of one (even though I had no intention of eating one) and they would be just out of the oven. Let me tell you, those were the slowest 10 minutes of my marriage. Brad broke out into uncontrollable laughter about every 3 minute just at the thought of the treat to come. I can say I have never quite seen my husband so giddy nor have I enjoyed a cookie quite so much. Like I said.....intentions......

No comments:

Post a Comment