Sunday, August 16, 2009

The rest of the story

Thursday, July 2nd, my husband of a year and a half texted me to ask me what I thought about moving to Savannah, Georgia. I texted him back "sure" and went on my merry way handling the affairs of the day with one exception. I must have known there was a touch of truth to this text because I had a quick burst of tears and then went on my merry way.
You see, in the last 4 months we have constantly been brain storming over Brad's next move in his career. He currently works for a bank that failed 3 weeks before Brooks' birthday and from what I understand he would rather work for a mortuary for dogs. I can imagine that working for a company that is "working" to be shut down for good by the end of the year isn't exactly intriguing. In these months he has mentioned opportunities in Athens, Jacksonville, Nashville, Greensboro, GA (all I know is I like the lake in that town) and other various places as well as an idea of opening his own clothing line in Buckhead (this was the most random idea....but as every good wife - I was supportive.) When Savannah was mentioned ever so lightly I had this instant twist in my stomach. That knot hasn't left since and to be honest probably won't begin to untangle until my bare feet stroll through our new yard in Chatham County sometime in the next month.
I'll spare you too many of the details in between because they are fairly gory - involving a horrendous trip to our new town involving a 6 hour road trip (usually 3.5), lots of marriage conversation that only happens every so often (and is oh-so-painful but oh-so-good), and lots of tears. Truly after much prayer, wrestling with God, and some much needed jolting conversations by some dear friends I found my heart opening to this idea though I knew it would be the biggest stretch I could imagine. Personally, I thought having a baby was a stretch enough but obviously whoever is writing my story didn't. Ironically, the Monday that my heart began to painfully and slowly open to this voyage I found myself driving to Alpharetta for an errand. As I drove up 400 I had this glimpse of our life to come in Atlanta if we were to stay - full of 3.5 kids, summer camp, and a minivan. This is what really pushed me to my decision. As much as I want that and as much as our lives look to mimic that now with a baby and a cute dog - I am not ready to be that settled. Not yet. So, we will be moving in the next 6 weeks. I know there are big things in store for our marriage and our family in this new, lonely - and lovely town and as scared as I am to leave I know in my gut that this will be a good thing. Brad is confident in this path for our family and therefore, so am I. It sure feels good to be able to trust his guidance especially when I have been in "new-baby-fog" for the last year. And it may only be short term- we'll see! So, in the mean time, I am lunching everyday with every friend I know. I am working out at my gym (because I am slightly addicted) as often and as much as my heart desires. I am eating at all of my favorite Atlanta-eatery's (and ordering dessert) and I am truly soaking up even the little things that I love about the big city. As soon as we secure a house in Savannah we will be on our way. Oh, and after we throw ourselves a sweet farewell party! You know I love a reason to throw a party so I can say the move makes me happy for this reason. We expect anyone traveling to St.Simons or Jacksonville for any reason in the next year to stop in for a cocktail - Savannah style. We are hoping to live near the water (or marsh) just to get a feel of some good ole island living - we certainly will never have that in Atlanta! So stay tuned...the blog may go through a coastal transformation soon. I can't wait to post about our new favorite Savannah spots and happenings. I can imagine we will have much more time for writing when I am home with the baby in a new city.

Let the adventure begin!

6 comments:

  1. OMG. We need to talk. I'm calling you back this week I promise. My philosophy these past couple of years has been "a city is a city is a city." Find your church, your gym, your women's bible study, your hair salon, and your favorite place to run and you are set. They're all the same (minus family). It's what I make of it and bring to it that makes it home...I'm praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy- let me know if you need a good realtor. She's a good friend's mom and just found her daughter and her husband a great house on the island. Will be praying for the transition. Know that I'd swap places with you in a minute! You can come live in Smyrna and I'll move to Savannah!! P.S. I know some precious babysitters when you need one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on this exciting time in your family's life! I will be praying for the transition and that God will continue to be near to you in all the small and big things as your heart prepares, and then all those things to do, fall into place....xoxo. Glad to share this journey and hear how God is moving you..literally now and in your pursuit of Him.
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! I am so surprised and excited for y'all...we are coming to Savannah for Keri's wedding Sept 26th if y'all are there already :) Or if you need some help. Sad y'all won't be so close but I am excited to see how God will grow your family. Love to see sweet pictures of Brooks...he is getting so big!!! Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay...so I am pretty sure that this is the best thing I have read all day. Where have I been? Do you know how close Beaufort is to Savannah? CLOSE! I am in Savannah every other Wednesday for work. Who is Brad working for? Do you want my number/want to be best friends? ;)

    This is a very exciting move. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Betsy! I love reading your blog and keeping up with your cute little family!
    I have been in Hilton Head for the past 4 years and LOVE living in the Lowcountry! It's such an amazing place. I venture over to Savannah frequently...it's a 45 minute drive. It's such a great city with so much to do and see! Y'all will love it! Best of luck to you on this new journey. Let me know if you need anything!

    Katie McPherson

    ReplyDelete