Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cookie cake, chocolate cake, ice-cream, oh my!

The quirky weather man here tells me to expect 72 degrees today. I won't accept a degree less. Were it not for this news I would have been ultimately dysfunctional today....coming off of a birthday weekend high in Atlanta. Admittedly, I was such a baby yesterday. I literally wanted (but didn't) to sit Indian style behind the Explorer with my fingers in my ears and choose to be flattened by my own husband rather than to have gotten in the car and drove home like any mature just-turned-29 year old mother. Like I said, I thought about it hard but somehow shut my mouth and instead pouted the whole drive home.

So obviously the birthday weekend was that good. It was! Brad and I ate cookie cake in the car on the way up to the homeland Friday afternoon.
Unfortunately, I couldn't get my act together Friday to actually make it to "the surprise" so it has been postponed for my next trip. We stayed with some of our favorite people and honestly, felt so welcomed and relaxed that the couple and their sweet baby may regret their hospitality when we knock on their door again this weekend! Saturday was rainy and was technically not my birthday but because Friday was spent in the car I elected to really feel like it was a birthday on Saturday. I took my favorite exercise class at my old gym. Ahhh......to be known even by the crazy ladies I've worked out with for years is such a simple joy! We ate at a favorite lunch spot and did a little shopping. Saturday night we cooked out with a few couples that we hadn't seen in what felt like 5 years though I am sure to them they were wondering why we were back so soon....ha! Anyway, I was in heaven Saturday night.....yet another scrumptious cake, burgers on the green egg, friends for Brooks to be entertained by, great conversation with dear friends and a late late night!



This was truly one of the best birthday celebrations I've had in a while. Sunday we went to our church and had a great brunch afterwards. Get this, Brooks even reclaimed one of his toys he left in his classroom nearly 5 months ago! What other church holds on to the lost and found until truly the things are found? I was so thrilled and so was the little guy!

Sunday afternoon Nise watched Brooks while Brad and I spent an evening at the Grand Hyatt in Buckhead. We first had our favorite sushi and finally went to see The Blind Side. I know, we are waaaayyy late on the movie scene. The night was just perfect but the best part of the birthday weekend was knowing there was no baby waiting to arouse us from our sleep around the 7a.m. hour. We slept later than we have in years and spent the morning walking around our old stomping ground just reminiscing. Of course we couldn't leave without a trip to Taqueria del Sol which is where I tried to make my stand by plopping on the ground behind the car momentarily. As you know, I came to my senses and put on my big girl panties and rode home with a frown the whole way. Isn't there some kind of saying like " dont frown because it's over, smile because it happened?" Well, that's a piece of crap. I didn't want this weekend to end and not because it was my birthday weekend but because it was so so wonderful to be home and to be around friends that know us and care for us. It's official: I am homesick! But like I said earlier, it's sunny and in the 70's today which usually means on the island it will feel a little warmer. Brooks and I are going to spend much of our day outside on the dock and walking by the water. There are some wonderful things about our home that we rarely get to enjoy so today I will do my best to enjoy every single positive aspect and not think about where I'd rather be......

So, the ice-cream part came in last night. On the way home we stopped at a place for dinner that I honestly hadn't stepped foot in since high school summers in St. Simons. Yes, mates, Outback Steakhouse. Brooks was not happy to be not in his bed and I was still a little blue until....the 6 waitresses abound from the kitchen with a chocolate covered ice-cream scoop for the birthday girl. Oh goodness, I don't think I even had brushed my teeth yesterday and all of a sudden everyone in Savannah (because obviously Outback is the place to go at night) turns to delight in my humiliation. Thank you dear waitress for overhearing our conversation about our splendid birthday weekend and choosing to call me out in front of the restaurant (but then really make me happy to end my night with yet another birthday dessert!) When is the last time you had the restaurant staff sing to you on your birthday? I like to think I was 7 and at the time it was pretty cool. "Aussie, aussie, aussie. Oy, Oy, Oy. It's your birthday.....Aussie, aussie, aussie, oy, oy, oy!"

2 comments:

  1. Oh Betsy~ I so know what you mean. To be known (and understood and valued) is one of our most basic needs. I have struggled with finding this since the college years, even though God has blessed me a few folks that know me well since then. Fellowship is hard in this stage of life for me. One of my greatest desires is to be back in Savannah. That doesn't seem to be in the cards but if it happened, I would also pray that you and Brad and the babe would HAVE to stay put so I'd have a friend there too! We definitely don't take real friendships for granted in our old ages do we :) Glad you had a beautiful birthday. Can't wait for a Savannah lunch! (potentially next Monday??- checking with dad)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your birthday was great! Sounds like it was a wonderful trip with wonderful people!

    ReplyDelete