Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What are the odds?

Usually if it means winning something like tickets on the radio (not that I have called a radio station since I was about 12) or a few dollars on the lottery or even catching a break somewhere - like finding a parking spot at Publix that's not in the neighboring strip mall when the weather is below 20 degrees - my odds are slim to non-existent. I like to work a little harder for my rewards so it's okay.
There are two exceptions to this theory that come to mind. Kindergarten, Mark Twain Elementary in Columbus Ohio, the year was 1986. I was new to the school and the town but not new to musical chairs. I won the contest involving all of the kids at the fall festival and got to pick out a cake of my very own for my prize. I picked the big yellow cake with a bit smile on it....kinda resembling the picture you have when singing the ever-popular "Don't Worry Be Happy" song of the day. To this day I still think of that fall day as one of those where my stars just aligned. Not to mention, I love musical chairs, especially on the Ellen show.

Many years of missed opportunity pass me by and I find myself with rather large speeding ticket in Fulton county. I could give you all the reasons why I didn't deserve that ticket but it doesn't matter...this thing just stole my joy especially being that the court date was the week of my 25th birthday. Eww. $400-plus ticket. Ewwww.

The court date comes around and I have done all of my legal research (meaning I phoned a friend and I was ready to take on Fulton County. After sitting for what seemed like a season in a fairly empty court room my fairy godfather dressed in a court worker type uniform came and took me and the few other hopeful criminals to a window with a clerk of few words behind it. All I can think is that my crime is too large and they aren't even going to let me plead my case. The lady behind a square pair of glasses stamps my ticket, asks for my license and says, "You are good to go." What???? When do I come back? I was ready for the fight....ready to earn my win. "The officer scheduled your court date on a date we don't have traffic court. You are good to go," she exclaimed again since I hadn't budged the first time. Then she closed her window and turned to her lunch. I don't even have to explain the relief I felt. I'm sure I turned on some girl radio song and rolled my windows down and felt like the luckiest speeder that ever lived.

Yesterday the tables completely turned. I received a notice in the mail from one of the only institutions in Savannah that even know we live here. Thanks to the City of Savannah Parking Services - we actually are somewhat known in this town. This town is serious about their parking tickets, too. No $6 fine like the ones I compiled in Athens. $15 per citation. Ouch. More so, they monitor the streets like there are terrorists under each car or something....you can't get away with anything. Anyway, we received one ticket back on our first trip to Savannah when we were checking out our possible new home. Obviously a parking ticket for a 4 minute expired meter didn't help me fall in love. We paid it and forgot about the ticket and the whole trip thinking we'd never move anyway. 2 months later I find myself parking in downtown Savannah for lunch during my first week as a resident. Once again, I scour the streets for 45 minutes looking for one vacant spot and finally fin a jewel 2 blocks from my lunch spot. Yummy first lunch in my new town but only to be ended by another $15 welcome fee. We pay this one too and vow to never give the Parking services another hard earned dollar.

Until this notice. The FORD car in this household has a balance of $58 to be paid in 7 days or else! Or else! So I call immediately and put on my best negotiating cap and atleast get half of the fine removed. I am still not sure why there was more of a fine but I had rather pay it than deal with government employees. I hang up the phone and actually feel good about the money I just saved our family. Just leave me at home, Brad, and I'll find a way to "save" money.

Anyway, last night after another night of devouring the pages of my book and flipping through some of the American Idol premier the local news announces their 11pm story. Are you kidding me? So much for doing the right thing anymore. Read on and feel lucky that you just don't have my luck.


City forgives late fees on parking tickets
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 5:37 PM
Updated: Jan 12, 2010 5:52 PM
By WTOC Staff

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - If you are one of the 18,000 people in Savannah with unpaid parking tickets, you may soon be debt free. The City of Savannah is offering a month long Parking Amnesty Program.

On Wednesday, the city will launch the parking penalty amnesty program that will excuse any late fees accrued on all unpaid parking tickets.

The ticket holder will just have to pay the original citation fine.

The Parking Amnesty Program helps clear citation off the books and offers citizens a chance to be parking debt free.

Our revenue investigators were coming back saying a person wants to pay it, but just cant pay this amount; so, by offering an amnesty program it will help clear a lot of folks out who really want to pay but just can't in the state it is now with the late fees," said parking services director Sean Brandon.

Violators will have the option of mailing in their fines, paying by phone at 912-651-6470, or paying in person at Parking Services headquarters, 100 E. Bryan St. Because the City's online payment tool located at savannahga.gov cannot separate fines from late fees at this time, violators will not be able to take advantage of the amnesty program through the Web site.

The program runs through Friday, February 12.

©2010 WTOC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

No comments:

Post a Comment