Sunday, June 29, 2008

PTO

Brad is sitting on the couch just smelling like a vacation. A quiet, uneventful, seafood eating vacation is what he smells of......
You see Brad has been vacationing since Wednesday at 5pm. There is certainly something about a man and some good ole fashion down time because he has looked like a new man ever since...... Like the man I married 8 months ago. (I hope that doesn't mean I am the reason for any apparent demise?) His steps are a little slower, a little less intentional and his cheeks just seem a little rosier; eyes a tad brighter. You see..we leave for Charleston on Wednesday morning and the timing couldn't be any more perfect. We have literally been counting down the hours as our planned vacation time draws near. It would seem to many that we have had plenty of vacation time this year but really we have been on a wedding tour - 15 strong - that has taken us away for several weekends. We love wedding weekends away! Brad looks yummy in a suit and tie and especially a bow tie. And the nuptials of our dearest friends have certainly taken us to fun cities. Nonetheless, they are nothing close to smelling of a vacation.

Brad asked me last week what specific things I would like to do while we are away. "Easy" I answered. I want to "eat an apple-lavender muffin" (yes, lavender) at my favorite Charleston bakery and I want to forget what day it is on Isle of Palms or Sullivans Island. I want to eat shrimp and have good iced tea. That's all. Nothing more. I want to do a whole lot of unscheduled nothing.

This season has certainly been a busy one for Brad and I and we are just grateful to have the leisure to spend some time away from the 7am banging of the hammer from the building across the street and from the constant stream of emails to tend to each day and from the noise of Peachtree below us. Amos is excited, too. He likes to see new places and meet new friends. He meets friends everywhere. Brad surprised me a few weeks ago by telling me we were staying in a super nice hotel the first few nights. Amos will get to stay in a "hotel" somewhere, too. Then we'll pick up Amos dog and head to Fran and Ashley's to spend the 4th weekend with them. I love the 4th of July in Charleston. I love the 4th of July period but I am especially fond of one in Charleston. Plus, this is Brad's first time to my beloved city. Ohhhh.....I am giddy just thinking of all of my favorite places that I have always wanted to show the boy that calls me a wife. When I lived in Charleston several summers ago I would sit at night at my hostessing job and write lists of my favorite things to do in order to one day give to a boy that would care to know about my favorite things to do during my favorite summer. A walk around the Battery was of course tops on the list as well as a kiss on waterfront park on the swinging benches. I also mentioned a run over the Cooper River Bridge and a cocktail on the rooftop bar. I am giggling to myself just getting to write these sweet memories and feel them inside as I type. Get ready Brad!

Okay, two days of work and then I get to join Brad on our "July-sabattical." I vow to be a much better writer, wife, worker, daughter and friend when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment