Thursday, August 14, 2008

As American as Cracker Jacks

We are the epitome of your typical American tourist with a fanny pack and white socks this week. It has only been 7 days and Brad and I are so deep into Olympic hooplah that we have abandoned all house chores and anything normal like teeth brushing (kidding). There are piles of clothes in my room that are starting to stink and I haven't seem my sink since this weekends cookies I made. It's bad. It's even affected Dr. Amos. Today I changed his camo collar to his bright RED American collar. Patriotic is his second middle name. The worst effect of our seeming obsession is the lack of sleep. I mean, come on......couldn't they plan these things at a more "American" time like 8pm? When we were eating tacos and watching the display of lights and matching people last Friday for the opening ceremonies we were first mistaken and we thought they were live. The husband says to me "Gosh, we are so egocentric. Of course, we would get the Opening Ceremonies live when it is 7:30 am in China." Well, we were wrong but I sure wish we were right because these 2.5 weeks O'Fun are wearing us out. Tuesday night we waited to watch the American lady gymnasts unhappily accept the silver medal until wee in the morning hours. Lastnight we thought we might be safe....no events of interest but as soon as we start hearing Bob Costas talk we are glued. Saturday we even watched ladies handball. LA-DIES-HA-NDB-ALL. Yes, that's what I said. And then water polo.

Anyway, it's only every four years that we can deprive ourselves from sleep for an entire month so we're okay with it. We're eatin applie pie, drinkin beers and loving being American! And P.S. . . we are going to attempt to set my little sister up with Fishy-Phelps. Oooh la la!

So, in case you wonder....why do those girls immediatly shower right after their synchonized dive? Here is your answer.
And did you hear how many stinkin calories Mr. Phelps has to eat a day to turn on the heat in the pool? 12 THOUSAND!!!! Off to watch gymnastics.

A little trivia for you...Which ambitious young Atlantan tried out for the Opening Ceremonies in the 1996 games? Which same little girl didn't make it?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the answer about the showering divers...I was wondering about that one! Interesting...

    Yes, and I am with you...sleep deprived, ordering chinese take out, all to cheer on the U S of A and justifying it with its a every 4 year type of thing!! Woohoo!

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete