Thursday, August 6, 2009

You must sing this....Haaa-le-lu-ya...

Hall-le-lu-ya.....halleeeeee-luuuu-ya!
My eyes shut minutes past 11 last night and did not reopen until 7:24 this morning! Strike the chorus again....
Hall-le-luuuu-yaaaa!
I never knew sleep could be so good, so refreshing and so invigorating. I woke up today feeling like a 10 year old on a Saturday morning ready for a bowl of sugary cereal and some Saturday morning cartoons. Woooooohoooooooo! You know it feels good to holler outloud so go ahead and do it for me. HA-LE-LU-YA!
WIth all of my new found energy the baby and I took an early a.m. stroll around the hood with the Amos dog. Brooks bounced up and down on my belly in the baby bjourn which is basically a baby backpack but on the front for those of you not up to date on baby lingo. I first heard of the baby bjourn when I was barely pregnant and I thought it was a kind of cheese.
Anyway, I like to sing to Brooks when we are walking alone. Without fail I forget songs that I know after about 7 minutes of singing. This is crazy to me because I can usually sing every word to any song since 1991. The Bangles, Michael Jackson, Men Down Under...you name it and I can sing it to you even if it has been a decade since I last heard the song and I promise I won't miss a word. But not when I walk with the babe - my brain goes to mush and the best I could come up with today was "Let it snow." Yes, the Christmas song. Nonetheless, he seemed to like it so I sang it over and over. There was a lady walking her labrador about 200 feet in front of us...surely far enough ahead to not hear my attempts to mimic Bing Crosby. She stopped to let her dog do his thing in another neighbors yard (so sweet) and as I passed her by she said "how lucky your baby is to have you sing to him." Me: "Oh, I am sorry. Have I been ruining your walk by my hideous singing?" Sweet lady: No, though I don't think it is going to snow today. But, really, how great that you actually talk to your baby. Most moms these days are glued to their phones when they are on their walks." Interesting.
Which brings me to my food for thought today. I was surprised that the sweet lady noticed my singing and that she chose to comment. I am tired of cell phones. Tired of texing. Tired tired tired. So if I don't answer or call you back this is why. I know it isn't very professional or courteous but I am just tired of the rings and the blinks and the buzzing and the constant need for connection that we all seem to crave. My short interaction with the sweet lady today only affirmed my desire to keep my time with Brooks "phone free." I know you will need to help me with this so please feel free to remind me of my plea when I pick up the phone next time you call.

Hello, I am a new mother and I hereby declare that my time with the baby (when he is awake)will be phone-free. Wow, that feels so good!

And my last thought for the day comes in the form of a challenge. Today I met a sweet lady to exchange a baby item I listed on craigslist. I feel a little funny whenever I partake in such types of commerce and usually whenever I see my "customers" I have this knot in my stomach that just wants me to give my items away. Well today I did. There was nothing about this meeting that made me think that the lady needed my charity but it sure did feel good to offer it and not only did I offer my item but I offered the whole bag of new baby boy clothes in the back of my car. She was very grateful but whether of not she uses the items or throws them all the way around 285 on her way home - I was reminded of the generous heart that God gave me. I am so glad He made me that way and I am so glad to be reminded today that a little small small thing for another person can do alot of good for your own heart. I danced the whole way home and vowed to do a little more nice things tomorrow. So, bring brownies to your neighbor or listen the person at Starbucks who seems to want to tell you about their entire morning or give something away today! You'll thank me because it sure does feel good. One of my bestest, Charlsie, gave me a $2 bill on her birthday a few years ago. I smile every time I open my wallet and see my little gift. It was her birthday and she gave away two dollar bills. What a splendid way to make the most of your own birthday! Trust me, I don't think that my insignificant, small bit of charity deserves any accolades or kudos - as I know there are so many things I can be doing everyday for other people that are alot more courageous but I sure did need to be jolted out of my little bubble...... and today was just the day for that little jolt.

That's all for now. Stay tuned. Big news to come soon.......(and of course some new pictures of the tank...aka - the baby.)

2 comments:

  1. Betsy, you are a wonderful mother!! Little Brooks is one lucky "tank!"
    See you soon!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love giving away money! Haha. I have so many silly stories about giving away two dollar bills, not lease of which people who see me do it and go, you know that's real money right? Not like, fake money?

    ReplyDelete