Friday, October 24, 2008

Welcomed rain

There couldn't be a more perfect day for a drenching in the Atlanta area. I am happily off work today so I have no need to get out in the mess and we just need a good soaking. Amos has been watching the rain all morning. Occasionally as it picks up he barks at it. His bark almost startles himself as it is so rare to hear a noise from him. He is so entertaining though. You would think he is protecting his family from intruders or something but, no, he doesn't do that.....he kisses anyone that walks through our door.

So the forecast calls for rain all day today thanks to our neighbor Alabama. Therefore, I am on the couch doing alot of something I never do....nothing. I used to feel guilty when I wasn't busy. Luckily marriage has lessened my guilt as it seems okay to do nothing if it is with someone else. But today I feel no guilt. The doors are open. The rains incessant pounding on the sidewalk is really refreshing - and much more enjoyable than the usual sound of the constant traffic. The only unfortunate thing is I finally finished my epic novel, The Thornbirds, last night. I wasn't really thrilled with the last 100 pages. I am not sure why someone would have wanted to right a 700 page novel and write the ending just so drearily. I am a hopeless romantic and would rather see the love at the end than the lesson learned. Love pervades all things, right? I guess I will pick up Brad's latest read, When Crickets Cry. We ran into some dear friends from college who also happened to be the pastor and his wife from church in Athens. Both of them were raving about this book. Brad immediately had to buy it. Funny - if I recommend a book (as I did this same book a year ago) Brad seems interested for a second but feels no pressure to actually read it. Oh, but run into some old friends and you would have thought Brad wouldn't sleep or eat until he had the thing in his hand. I am happy for him though as he really dove into the book and had a great week on the beach reading it. So, I will pick it up too now. And, I'll sit here all day with my dog barking and the rain falling under my down comforter on the smelly couch and I will read and do nothing and I will not feel an ounce of guilt.

Enjoy the rainy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment