Thursday, November 6, 2008

So.....

I have 7 minutes to spare before my next class.
YES!
That's right, "class."
"What is she up to now," you are thinking. I'll tell you.....
This morning at 6:23am I got a call from maybe my new best friend Dunn. He asked if I wanted to sub an 8th grade class at a local private school for a teacher that was out. What? I haven't stepped foot in a middle school classroom....since, well, I wore baggy jeans and pigtails. I had some other anticipated appointments today but I somehow mustered up a "sure, I'll be there."
I know middle school anything shouldn't be too intimidating but I don't even remember what you did in Middle School. Will these kids know how to read? Do they call me "Mrs. Something" or can they just call me "Betsy?" Is there a dress code? Are tall boots too risque in middle school? I thought I'd fall fast asleep for another 30 minutes to complete my now-usual 9 hours before my big day began but I was so anxious and giddy just to have somewhere to be by 8:25am so I hopped out of bed with energy! I was a minute or two late because I didn't know where the building was and I couldn't decide on my outfit. I mean, I want to be the cool teacher, you know? I want to be the substitute teacher they never forget! I think it's gonna be a good day of learning. 1800 SAT scores....here we come!

(I just heard a bell. Do I need to go somewhere? Where's the lunchroom? I'm hungry. Is lunch soon. Aggghhhh....i don't know what the bells mean!)

Anywho, first period I made up a jeopardy game to quiz the little boogers on their vocabulary. Words like immigrate and emigrate...persecution and brain drain along with toxic waste and the Continental Divide. Many I knew....several I didn't. I think they liked my game though. The boys won and the girls didn't like me much for that. And get this....every kid in this school gets an apple laptop. I plugged mine into the white board and then the kids could answer the vocab by touching the screen and matching it to the right definition. WHAT??? Brad, can we send our kiddie-poos here? I even like the uniforms. I think I want to do middle school all over again with my own apple laptop and knee socks.

Okay, the bell rang again. I'll be back. I need to tell you about God's goodness yesterday. Off to class.....

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I just laughed out loud. Bell ringing, where do I go? what do I do? do i have a locker?! OH Bets we have gotten SOOO old....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have the kiddos stolen you permanently as a sub? I miss you in the blog world, and well, in general!!

    ReplyDelete