Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A few firsts

Brad and I just returned from the most amazing Baby-moon along the Emerald Coast. We slept, read, ate, snuggled on the beach because it was so cold, ate some more and laughed our whole way through the short vacation. It was so needed though! With the current economic craziness surrounding us and everyone else we know along with the anticipation of a new member of the family....the perfect storm of exhaustion has been brewing. I was so happy to steal Brad from the stresses of a job at a bank and get him to the sand and the sea. He looked like a new man going back to the office this morning. So... a few highlights of the trip?
*I wasn't walking on my hands but somehow 2 inches on the underside of my belly are fried! Literally, there is a strip of red under my belly button. I can't see it but I sure can feel it and the pain is slowly convincing me that my tolerance for discomfort is non-existent. This is great news with labor on the way! I guess my make-do maternity bathing suit didn't quite make it over the bump and the sun got the best of me. This was the first time I have ever burnt the underside of my belly and yes, the first and last time I will ever grace a beach 33 weeks pregnant!
*Amos the Famous dog stayed at grandma's while we were away. This was our first time leaving him for more than a night and I am embarrassed to say how hard it was to see him drive off towards the country. What is more sad is that I think he enjoyed the free roaming and the playing so much that he will now not look at me or Brad and has yet to eat anything or even give me a small tail wag. Brad asked how hard it would be to leave the little guy when we go away if it was this hard to leave Amos. I think it was harder to leave Amos truly. Are we obsessed with this dog? Maybe.
*The first signs of true discomfort have shown up at my door step. Baby is out of room and 80% of the day he is stomping grapes on my bladder and throwing elbows to my ribs. This makes for an aggravated sleep, sit position, dining experience and anything else. I like feeling his little back bone at the top of my belly or an occasional protrusion of his booty but that's all I need to know he is okay. The stomping and punching is just absurd and I've gotten to where I poke him back! Can he really get any bigger over the next 7+ weeks when there really isn't any room? And for anyone whose been pregnant.....did you not think that around week 30 you would feel like the end is near? I mean 30 is so close to 40? But really, 7 or more weeks sounds like an eternity! Luckily, Brad and I have a few books to conquer before he makes his debut so I know we will be busy.
*First time I have ever received a phone call from the US Embassy.
*First and best babymoon with Brad and my first time at the beach in 40 degree weather.
*Yes, back to the Embassy thing......Here's the cliff notes version. My brother, his girlfriend, and another couple are travelling about Italy for 10 days. They arrived in Rome Sunday morning and that is all we knew. We wake up early Monday a.m. to a call from my dad alarming us of the tragic earthquake in Rome, Italy....atleast that is how the news reported. The devastation is just awful and so far nearly 200+ people have died. So you can imagine the tension around the condo Monday a.m. as we are trying to find anyway to locate our travelling friends. Mind you, the earthquake happened nearly 24 hours before so there was plenty of time for us to hear they were okay...if they were okay. So after a morning of scouring the internet for news and trying to find anyone that knew where they were....I call the U.S. Embassy in Rome. At the time this was the only logical thing to do. The sultry sounding Italian woman assured me that the devastation began 30 miles east of Rome and as long as they were in Rome they should be fine. To add to the tension - the hotel that we learned they may be staying wasn't answering. This was truly one of the longest mornings of my life and I kicked into a constant state of prayer/worry as that was all I knew to do. Anyway, I get a call back from the U.S. Embassy assuring me that no American fatalities had been noted. This certainly eased our minds and we tried to go about the day. Finally about 12pm my dear brother texts. "We're okay. Yall are crazy."
Crazy or not - we were finally relieved and quite humored. Here is the email from the hotel in Italy. I can't help but chuckle thinking of the little Italian women writing me back amid a beautiful day in Rome. All I can say is.....my mothering instinct is attacking me! My worry factor is out the roof and my emotions are constantly seeking something to cry over. Help! I want my body back!

Dear Betsy

Fortunately there were no damages after earthquake in Rome. Matthew
N***** is staying in a quad room with us and he is ok
Best regards
Onne

----- Original Message -----
From: "Betsy Bagwell"
To:
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2009 3:04 PM
Subject: US visitors okay during quake?


> We are trying to locate US visitors that are supposed to be staying here.
> Please let us know any info.
>
> Visitors:
> Matthew
> Marie
> Josh
> Michal

1 comment:

  1. Betsy! Now you know how I felt in that dollar movie theater! Squished!!! I can't wait to see you and am so glad y'all had fun on your babymoon! love ya! em

    ReplyDelete