Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pin this

I stayed away from Pinterest for a long time. I mean, I got an account and let it sit there just knowing I didn't need one more thing to distract me in a world that wants me so badly to be distracted. More so, I just didn't want to add to anything that would make me "want" anything more. Isn't there enough of that already? Anyway, a few weeks ago I cracked for a second and found a recipe that I was looking for for apple crisp. It was delicious and I had fun following through on my desire....going to the store, taking the time to cook and not skimping on any of the ingredients. If you happen to have found me on pinterest I am sorry because I am not going to be the originator of any brilliant thoughts but rather a copier. That's the stage of life I am in and I'm okay with that. I know maybe that is what half of the idea is - some people create things and some people just "pin" them and hope to one day create or obtain them.
Well today I was a little turned off. Or alot. If you just hit the "explore" button and explore everything being pinned 75% of the photos were of a few ridiculously blessed in the bosom type women with hip bones that stick out. And then always there was some young teen or 20-something posting the picture and labeling it her "motivation." One of these such pictures even had 20+ things you could do to get this skinny - anywhere from making yourself a snack and then throwing it away just to feel some will power, to chewing on ice when you get hungry. Geez. This just made me sad for so many females out there who constantly, I mean constantly are wanting to look like something else. I don't know if it was marriage or motherhood but I hope it was before when I finally learned to love the me that god created - every curve and dimple.
Okay, I just needed to rant a bit.
But - I also want to just pin pictures of the boys on pinterest and I know if I did I would really lose all popularity. I mean pictures of cute clothes or yummy cookies are enticing and I love love love the fresh ideas for a home makeover and I can't wait to one day have our own home and hope to implement many of the things I have seen but as a mom or a dad - do you not just think your own kiddos are the most pinnable thing out there? I feel the same about your kids too or your Wheaten terrier dog as well because obviously they are my 2nd favorite thing (shout out to Amos!)...I really do. To me the sweetest, cutest, most desirable things on the planet are the expressions and smiles of innocent little folks. So, here, you can pin this and that may be all I have to add to "pinterest" or facebook of the like for several years. I know my creative brain will come back to life soon enough but right now I am happy living life through the eyes of a toddler.
(Now if only I had beautifully taken pictures to post here but alas - I am still using the iphone for all of our memory making!)



He may hate me for that one later.



And this is the tree at our neighborhood park. Ahhhh...fall how I love thee most!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, you are so awesome. I had the exact same thoughts on pinterest - I got interested for a minute, then I was vaguely horrified at what it was telling me about the state of the average american woman's body image. Some of the pins that particularly freaked me out were the ones that said things like - "don't reward yourself with food, you are not a dog" - and "Fat, get the F out of my body." Ugh, seriously?

    Connect this with the other catagory of just straight food, like, crazy pictures of all kinds of food that would be bad for you and taste amazing, and I start to wonder if this site might be doing more harm than good.

    ReplyDelete