Thursday, November 3, 2011

Things that just make me smile lately

Some of these are kinda weird and I think probably just specific to this stage of life we are in currently. I'm sure in a few years some of these things won't quite blow my skirt up the same way but for now it really is some of the littlest things that bring me that real, gut-felt, authentic joy.
1) Obsessively vacuuming every single piece of food or leaf out of my mom-car. I bought this car not as a mom car but as a "I just got my first big commission check and I kinda like the chrome on this thing in a weird way" kinda car. Now 6 years later the car never new a day without a goldfish crammed in it's seat belt pockets or a credit card erroneously stuck in it's cd compartment. Sad.
2)Thursday's. Both boys are at school for the morning and I don't have another commitment. The 2.5 hours alone is seriously overwhelming. I love going to the bathroom by myself and turning on Katy Perry or Sara Baraeilles Pandora really really loud and cleaning the house. I hope this doesn't always excite me so much.
3) Hearing Brooks put sentences and thoughts together. Yesterday he asked where dad was and I said work to which he exclaimed, "EVERYBODY is at work! Nise is at work, Big is at work, Mary Lauren is at work, Carter is at work, Grandma is at work, Sutton (his friend) is at work, EVERYBODY is at work but you ma-ma." Very observant little one. One day I hope he sees the "work" in my day.
4) Living across the street from some of the coolest neighbors we'll probably ever have. As you know we are house searching and one thing I always ask for is neighbors like we have now or an empty house next door where they can move. They aren't just "can I borrow some eggs and a cup of milk" kinda neighbors. They truly love us, it is obvious, and we feel the same about them. You can't choose your family and you can't even choose your neighbors but in this case we got neighbors that are a little closer than family. I love having front yard parties everyday and drive way cocktail hours after the kids have gone down.
5) $1 half sweet/half unsweet with lemon iced-teas from Mickey D's. I don't think this will ever change.
6) Country music. Brad and I go in phases with this one but right now we are hooked. I think it always makes life seem a little less hectic.
7) William's open mouth kisses that he dishes out to whomever/whenever/wherever. Yummy.
8) One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. Read it.
9) Having nothing to do and nowhere to go for the next several weekends. Ahhhhh. I've become such a home body.
10) My husband's beard that he started before "No Shave November." Something about a little stubble....
11) Online boot shopping and putting every pair I even have a second thought about in my shopping bag knowing Ill probably never buy any but there is just something about online "shopping"
12) Eating lunches out. Sorry, husband. It's true. Being home all day among syrup and smashed macaroni and cheese and spilled apple juice just makes for a very serious urge to eat something un-kiddie like. I think I have picked up lunch 4 out of 5 weekdays for the past 6 weeks and that one day that I do eat at home just makes the urge even stronger. And I feel a little justified???
13) HGTV
14) A swept and blown off front porch and yard. I LOVE the fall colors in our yard right now but I LOVE them even more in a pile on the road. Hint hint hint....
15) Christmas decorations already at Target today
16) Speaking of Target. I think random Target trips must lead to a high number of divorce. Brad doesn't really ask anymore because I can always make everything seem like a "need" but I am the biggest Target $1 aisle sucker around and I can never spend less than $50 even if I only went for deodorant.
17) Modern Family. Like everyone else....who doesn't love Cam and Mitchell to pieces?
18) On Demand Exercises TV. As a pretty avid exerciser I never thought I would have a favorite tv workout but my friend turned me onto Pauline Nordine's Butt Bible and it is the real deal. She's pretty comical, too, so it makes it go by faster. And if your 2 year old catches you and tries to mimic you by doing pelvic thrusts on the floor it's even better entertainment.
19) Watching William, the transformer, toddle his way around the house or the park or the store. I LOVE the curiosity at this age and he has no reservations about anything so he'll try to figure out pine cones or a bumble bee no matter how bad it hurts.
20) The hidden Halloween candy that seems so hidden to everyone else but me.
21) Iphone pictures of the boys on Halloween. And, oh, Anna Kournikova.




22) Even better pictures (Thanks to Jenny) of our trip to Jacksonville for the bulldawg WIN! More to come (thanks to Amanda).....



1 comment:

  1. Love this post- especially about eating lunch out. Ross called home to a teary wife telling him I just couldn't get out of a funk. He laughed and said "meet me for lunch." Funk cured. I don't know what it is but it really makes the day oh so much better. especially when the "family" pays versus our dave (ramsey) personal stash that is supposed to pay for my lunches out :)

    ReplyDelete