Saturday, March 27, 2010

What a Saturday should look like

I love thinking of Saturday's in Charlton Forge; the neighborhood where I spent most of my childhood days. I haven't seen the house since we moved in 2001 except for a quick drive by but I remember it being humongous with a never ending yard. A politician owned the house far behind us and in between the two houses he bought the acre of land so as to keep his space and thus, ours private. My parents would open the doors and windows on a spring or fall Saturday and while mom cleaned in the kitchen or scurried about like moms do, dad would cut the grass. The younger kids and I would tend to our duties of devouring the sugary cereal and flipping through the Saturday cartoons. That's all I remember but it is enough to create the perfect memory of the perfect Saturday. Now grown up Saturday's are just as anticipated but not always as relaxing - but today was the exception and hopefully the example.

I woke up early with the other crazies to hit to local garage sales. I figured if they were at the two largest homes in the neighborhood there may be some special find for baby #2...like oh, a bed or something essential. Unfortunately, I didn't find any big finds except for a cute bag for Brooks and his things when he goes to grandmas for $2. I was feeling quite thrifty and efficient seeing as my $2 were spent before 8am so I headed to our local coffee shop, Library coffee, for the special coffee of the day that I shouldn't partake in due to this growing baby but I do anyway and don't feel an ounce of guilt. I love jittery babies. Anywho, on a whim I scheduled a much needed hair trim and brow wax with the most talkative hair dresser in Atlanta. And as everyone should after they pay too much to get their hair done - I went to take a killer exercise class. I know you are loving all of these Saturday details. It was too perfect not to recount so bare with me.

Enter the little man and the big man and another bigger man dressed as an animal with big ears. Now say hello to the crying baby. Brad and Brooks met me at the gym which also serves as a restaurant/bar/hair salon/nursery/country club of sorts without the golf. Today the Easter bunny was visiting so we thought it would be the perfect time for Brooks to come meet his first furry, imaginative seasonal character. He'd rather crawl on pinecones I think per the not so cute pictures below.



After calming the baby and assuring him that he would never wake up to find an overstuffed bunny staring at him in his crib we headed to our first cook-out of the season. What a perfect afternoon! We ate yummy food, fraternized with friends we hadn't seen in awhile due to our brief stint in Savannah (of which several people didn't even know had happened....nice to be noticed, huh?), and enjoyed the sunshine to the fullest. Husband was so happy to be out and about that he threw a fit when I mentioned that we should maybe take the little guy home for a nap. He quickly jumped in to super dad mode and strolled him around the block until he fell asleep - just to be able to take in a little more sun (and maybe a beer and a cupcake or two!)

We finished the afternoon picking up the pine cones in the front yard and romping around with our shoes off. This is what Saturday's are supposed to feel like and I am just grateful that things were the way they should be today! I love making the most of a beautiful day! I hope your weekend was just as relaxing and rejuvenating.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I just almost spit out my Cheerios at the picture of Brooks with the Easter Bunny--I'm with you, Brooks....if I had to sit on some freakishly large bunny's lap, I'd probably have a total breakdown. And I'm 29.

    ReplyDelete