Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Duck Duck Duck

FISH!
Yesterday Brad and I spent the day recuperating from the weekend. It may have been one of my favorite days as a family yet. The little guy was so content playing in his new cozy coupe car that we literally could have gone to the movies and come home to find him opening and closing the door and placing the same cups in the cup holder!
thats right folks, the 30th anniversary of the Little Tikes cozy coupe has cup holders and Brooks must always have his cup holders serving their purpose. Once we could finally pull Brooks off of his car we ventured to see the millions of "ducks" or fish at the Georgia Aquarium. Ironically, though Brad and I have been faithful Atlanta residents for some time now we have yet to do any of the touristy things that Atlanta has to offer. More than that, BRAD HAS NEVER BEEN TO A ZOO OR AQUARIUM!!!!! Or so he claims. I go to bed every night feeling sad for him. Poor poor Brad. I can't wait to take him to the zoo sometime soon but yesterday we did get to check one thing off of our bucket list so I can sleep a little easier.

I normally would say that a 1 year and 1 day old may not appreciate the gazillions of fish at the aquarium but Brooks was in heaven. Every animal is a duck or a dog at this stage and every animal makes the little man smile. He loved to lean his head back in Brads arms and stare at the fish above his head in the fish tunnels. Brad and I decided that our poor children are going to have to enjoy theme parks before they are 3 because after 3 you have to pay for admission and goodness, yesterday would have been a small vacation with a family of 4 had Brooks and Baby B been any older! Anyway, my favorite fish was the giant grouper. It reminded me of Brad - laid back, big eyed, and content. Brooks seemed to like the turtle the best and Brad just liked being sick and having to stay home from work.

Though he loved the aquarium I think he would have been fine at home in the patio with the inflatable pool and blow up fish....not because the aquarium was disappointing but because our patio was that perfect this weekend!

{This picture is just hysterical to me. I can't even talk about me in this pic - let just say HUGE. Brad seems like a neuroscientist with his collar wound a little too tight and Brooks just thinks we are both goobers. I love it!)
So of course we headed home for beach Bagwell where the babies wear diapers and the adults can relax with ease knowing the diapered babies are thoroughly entertained by the new toys and the inflatable pool. Ahhhhhh.......what a perfect day as a little family after a wonderful but exhausting weekend! I know it sounds crazy but even walking around the aquarium with my boys I kept thinking "when I have my own family I'll take them to the aquarium and then go do a pic nic in the park." Um hello, this is your life, Betsy. You are there! I know you may call me crazy or you may know exactly what I am talking about....I have the hardest time living in the moment and being fully present. This birthday weekend was a good jolt for me - making me realize that these are the days to remember - and they are going by so fast. My some day is now and I am just grateful for the big kick in the booty this weekend that has opened my eyes to realize that time won't stop.....even for me! Someone told me last week that as a parent "The days are long but the years are short." So true, my friends. So true.

Partner with me by constantly reminding me to live in the present and enjoy God's blessings for the day - rather than what may or may not happen in the future. Carpe Diem!

2 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY what you mean! I feel the same way- always looking ahead, not so good at looking around in the moment.
    BTW- the picture of Brooks in the cozy coup made my entire day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy- your baby is absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete