Wednesday, March 10, 2010

And baby makes 4

Today was a surreal day. Partly surreal because grandma Nise mothered Brooks for about 11 of Brooks' 12 hour day. I haven't had a day like this since last April and it was enjoyable. I only fed my baby one bottle today and I only changed one diaper. In the meantime, I did crazy, unruly, sinful things. I ventured to the doctors office by myself and I may have danced on the doctors table with some mardi gras beads just because it felt illegal to be without the baby. Then I shopped for the perfect "i'm-really-pregnant-and-need-either-a-harido-or-a-hot-new-shirt-to-make-me-feel-good" shirt at the mall. Mama and Brooks came along but I wouldn't have known because I pretty much did my own thing. After the mall, mom and Brooks played on the floor while I attempted to nap in order to prepare for my kickboxing class - without the worry of Brooks in the nursery thus cutting the workout short. And finally Brad and I did the unthinkable. We went down the road to enjoy a dinner for two complete with an adult beverage for the father to be and an over sized dessert (mind you - the 3rd one of the day!) for the over sized pregnant lady.
Surreal, I tell you. I am in heaven and just feeling so relaxed and rejuvenated. I think a day without my favorite compadre once a week are quite essential. Hint hint.

Oh, I almost forgot.....we also found out whether or not Brooks would be a big brother or sister...I mean whether he'd have a baby brother or sister (I've been saying that all day!) and for brad and I - knowing the sex of the baby in the tummy makes the baby real. Until today I knew I was "pg" again, I felt it many weeks in Savannah as I cried and curled into a ball wishing the sickness would pass and lately I have felt it in my waste line but other than that we both literally forget there is an amazing life growing below the belly blubber. I know this is hard to believe but really, the poor 2nd baby is so easily forgotten already (and I vow to stop that today because I am real sensitive to birth order biasness). As of 2 hours ago as Brad and I sat and slowly ate our celebratory meal - reality has set in - we will have another babbling, drooling, pooting, giggling little baby in a few short months. CRAZY! It's kinda creepy, too, to know that we will be having a baby boy/girl (you'll have to keep reading) very soon. For instance tonight at dinner we started talking about what Christmas would like like in a few years and how Brooks would beat up his little sibling in the front yard on a hot summer day but one day he'll be the big brother he is - and literally go to bat for his best friend. Knowing the sex of this next baby allows us to dream and to imagine what life may start to look like. And not that it ever goes the way you think - but it sure is fun to sit and dream and allow the reality to hit us! We are thrilled that the 4th member of the family is healthy, heavy (8oz already), and happy! Any complications that once existed are now gone and that is really the biggest news. Praise God for His hand in this precious life even when our lives have been too hectic to even acknowledge what was going on.

So, here's how it went....I skipped to my appointment without the baby. I waited. I waited. I picked at my nails. They called me but only for that dang urine sample (sorry for the details - it just gets me every time....I get excited my name is call only to have to go back out and sit down!) So I wait and wait and text Brad that I am still waiting. Then my name is called beautifully by the Persian lab tech (literally, what a pretty way to say "Elizabeth") and I lay on her table for AN HOUR as she measured and calculated and smiled and made small talk....all the while not even commenting on some little boy parts or lack there of. Finally 53 minutes later she asked if I knew what I was having and as I said no she almost told me until I slapped her out of her chair onto the floor exclaiming that my husband would "kill me" if I knew before him. I picked her up and asked her to write it in an envelope. I then skipped home in the rain with my secret in tow. Grandma Nise was so anxious she wanted to go straight to Brad for the big reveal. I was just more excited to get to exercise that afternoon without Brooks that I couldn't think about the secret in the envelope. Plus, let's be honest - it's a weird thing once you find out because then there is no more "well, if it's a boy then they'll be best friends" or "if it's a girl we'll call her 'Penny' - seriously, Brad has been calling it "Penny-Betsy") - once you know, you know and there could be the death of a dream all in a quick second. Anyway, mama and I decided to let a bystander in on our surprise. Really, we just wanted to eat some chocolate. We asked the man at the American Cookie Company counter to open the envelope and decorate a cookie cake with the appropriate icing for the gender revealed in the envelope. Oh gosh, if you want to make random-Joe's day let him open your secret and decorate a cake for you. This guy was so stinkin excited and really wanted to just tell us the news but he obliged and made us a cake. We shopped, mom picked up the cake. Joe left a little colored icing on the box top so mom licked it off and secretly hated and loved that she already knew the news - or so she thought. A few hours later - husband and I went around the corner to eat dinner and find out our news. We opened the box, Brad screamed, I did a flip and then had a tear or two, Brad ripped his shirt off and beat his chest, and we ate cake and then ate dessert again because the restaurant offered us some champagne and a dessert of baby's choice. We texted our families and friends the news and we hugged and kissed and called Mark Richt to tell him that we'll have two little linebackers come August!!!!

The funny thing is mama was sure that the baby was a little girl because sneaky Joe left PINK icing on the box. Soooo clever! When we texted her she said we were crazy and she was shocked. How funny! I'll have to go back tomorrow and show Joe the pictures of the magic he created.

I'm officially outnumbered and will need weekly girls trips to get my nails done and eat girl food. I can't wait!


10 comments:

  1. Wahoo for another little boy! Brooks will be the best big brother for the little guy. Congrats to you all! We are so happy for yall and are looking forward to entering this new stage yet again with yall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is priceless!!! We are so excited for yall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited!!! Now you get to say "My boys..." Love that and love your family of 4 + Amos : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome that you had the cookie cake made- I love it! Congrats on another little boy! Those little guys are so lucky to have you as their mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute Betsy! Love the cookie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty sure when I read your blog sometimes I could eat you up or just wish you were here to be my best friend :) This is so cute and eloquent. What a fun day! Can't wait to meet MS's little boyfriend...Brooks or new little B are both eligible I think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cookie decorator truly left a smidgen of PINK icing on the box and I scraped it off so you would not know it was a girl. I was SHOCKED and thought I knew for at least ^ hours before you showed the cookie cake. What a surprise and what a great mom and wife you are to those Bagwell boys!!!! I am sooooooo happy for ya'll You are going to be just like me and have a lot of kids....the women in my family are fertil! LOve love love all the B's in your Pod!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Betsy, I found your blog through someone elses but turns out you are Matt's sister! We were good friends at UGA, even lived on the same floor in Russell and I would help him with his laundry! Anyway, I see you are friends with Ashley B too and we worked together at Vanderbilt! Anyway just wanted to say hey, your blog is really cute, and your little boy is precious! Also I think that was the best way I have ever seen of telling if it was a boy or girl! Best of luck with B #4!

    ReplyDelete
  9. UM WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!?! How did I MISS THIS POST! I had to force myself to keep reading and not skip to the bottom to find out...I can't believe I saw you yesterday and forgot to ask....congrats!!!! Two sweet boys who will love and adore you for life...(oh, and Brad too, obviously--3 boys!) YAY! Oh,and I love, love, love that you got a cake decorated and random Joe was the first to know. HA! Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete