Monday, March 22, 2010

The weekends look a little different

I can't blame our 6-month-home. This winter has been cause for depression no matter where you live. There have been few days of sunshine like our normal winters here in the South coupled with triple the amount of snow or below freezing days. Alas, Spring has finally sprung (officially) and yet again.....I am watching the snow flakes fall on the back porch as I type! I'm just thankful to not have a day job this winter because I can sit inside while Brooks naps and clean and take care of things and watch the awful weather rather than have to get out in it every morning. Of course, maybe the alternative is worse - being stuck inside all day with little human interaction. Unfortunately, our 6 months in Savannah were mostly marked by just that and cloudy skies and unusually cold temperatures so we were unable to truly get out and enjoy the coast the way we had hoped. That doesn't take away from any of the lessons learned but it certainly contributes to many of the lessons on finding contentment even when the circumstances outside do not bring contempt.

Anyway, this weekend was one of the first absolutely perfect Saturday's that the metro area has seen in a long while. I think it is because we moved back and now mother nature is happy. Friday night we did as every other Atlanta resident and headed to the nearest patio serving cold drinks and Spring time laughter. Brooks ate for probably an HOUR while we conversed with other new parents and good friends and then Brooks and his buddy Whit went on some outdoor explorations....as every boy should do on a warm afternoon.


Saturday we also did as every other Atlantan seemed to be doing....grill shopping! Who buys a grill on the first day of Spring? We do. I am sure there was a late night meeting at Home Depot to mark up all grills and patio furniture for the goobers like us that would put on our flip flops and head out Saturday to buy a grill at all costs. This is so against my usual need to find the best deal in town but it was sunny and I didn't care. Plus, hopefully a grill will help me out with some dinners at night since nothing can come between a man and his grill well, and a beer. Brad did a test run last night before he cooks for me this week because admitedly, he hasn't prepared a food item in over 2 years. I take good care of my sugar daddy.

Saturday afternoon was spent with our favorite South Georgia grandma. She came up just to visit the three of us and it was such a perfect visit! Brooks showed her how to swing and play at the park and he also showed her about every other trick he has mastered in the last 2 months - including tongue thrusting, bouncing, clapping at Amos and reminding him every 10 seconds that he is a "da" (dog). He loves his grandma and loves the undivided attention he got from the 3 of us that glorious afternoon. I was enjoying the day too much to take any pictures - I hate that and I am sure you do too because you are tired of reading the details of our weekend with out any visuals of the chubby baby.

Saturday night we had our first 4 unexpected but welcomed house guests. I love living in a place where visitors are often traveling through. If it were up to me there would be an open invitation all week long for anyone to come, stay, put their feet up, and eat a good meal. I love hosting people in our home and for the first time in a while we are enjoying feeling like we are "home." Even our last months in the condo in Atlanta were spent worrying over our next step so this was such a treat to all sit at the dinner table, eat together, literally break bread together and just relax. Brad asked what I thought the weekend in Savannah would have looked like and I think it would have been splendid - slightly warmer, sitting on the dock, enjoying a long walk BUT you can't put a price on a weekend full of friends and visitors! I was truly in heaven this weekend. Not to mention, I won my tennis match again yesterday - in the rain and wind. My tennis matches on Sunday are such a treat for a stay at home mom - I seriously feel for a few hours like I should do really naughty, unlawful things while I'm all alone. Should I be worried?

No comments:

Post a Comment