Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Peel that banana and....ummmm..take a bite!

Mama used to say her old cheers from high school to me when we were in the house together during my younger years. I am not sure if this one was a cheer or just something quacky she made up - she is known to do that - but I like it and as soon as I read today's baby update I started singing it....Peel that banana and ummmmm - take a bite!

Anyway, yesterday marked the halfway mark for this thing called pregnancy. I have mixed emotions. If the next half goes as quickly as the first half than I'll become a professional pregnant lady. Of course, we didn't know until about 6 weeks so that makes the first half shorter. But I was so stinkin sick for 15 weeks and I expect that I wont feel too much of that for atleast the next two months. On the other hand, the second half seems like the part in the movie where I actually realize that life as I know it will be different. There will be no denying an obtrusive stomach and a waddle-walk wherever I go. More so, no denying the fact that in about 4 months a new person will be living in our house, stealing my sleep, and taking over in every other area! I have several items that have been gifted to us over Christmas for the baby. They are laid out on the guest bed as if we are awaiting his approval. Would you rather wear a cotton onsie or a little sailor suit, sir? I walk in there everyday and look at them and feel them hoping that something will hit me and cause me to know the magnitude of the little boy that will fill those clothes. Though the reality is a little closer because he is a "he" and no longer an "it" - I am still partly numb. I just don't know how this is going to work. And before I care to venture down the road of "what if's?" and "what about's?" I just say to myself "I trust You." Meaning, I trust God. I don't know how any of this works. I don't know anything about God's timing for this surprise. I feel like I am not even close to understanding marriage and now we are adding another person to the equation. I can barely discipline my cute fluffy dog! How can I know the least about growing a person?

But this I know....God knew I had to give up control. Gulp.
He knew I couldn't flourish anymore if I continued to be in control. I look back at the events of this past year.....newlyweds.....4 jobs! Count them....one, two, three.....ughhhh, I just can't believe it! And then the surprising news of a child! It's like God knew He had to slowly but surely take the reigns and leave me feeling helpless and at times alone. Ultimately though I know and trust that this is best for me. It pains me to not have planned all these big events but in the long run I know it is best for me and I know God will be glorified through this wild adventure. I am reading a new book by John Eldredge called Walking with God. Really, I am reading 5 books right now but this one has most of my attention. I used to understand what that meant to "walk with God daily." In the last few years though I seemed to have forgotten what that really feels like until lately. Until the control was stripped from my hands. In the prelude he says, "And there is no way you can flourish while still being in control." Ouch. But the paragraph ends assuring me that God wants transformation in me. And in this season I want transformation, too. I need it. I can not continue down a road of mediocracy and numbness. I am so thankful that just as my belly is changing and growing and just as our baby boy is growing and being nourished - God, too, is growing me and transforming me. I am excited for this season of change whether I have anything to do with it or not! Bring it on! The belly and all....bring it on!

So, here is what they say about our little banana. This is not for the weak of stomach so come back later if that is you. Grow banana grow!
Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel — the length of a banana. (The way your baby is measured changes now.) He's swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you'll see it in his first soiled diaper.
Wonderful. I can't wait for that meconium diaper!

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you and Brad and Amos.... may you continue to flourish and blossom!!!!!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so awesome to hear how you are growing and surrendering to Him! What a beautiful thing!

    ReplyDelete