Sunday, May 17, 2009

Rainy weekend and all the chores are done

I am wishing the nesting instinct thing that everyone clings to late in pregnancy hadn't hit me weeks ago. I've already washed and rewashed baby blankets and clothes for the first weeks. Amos is clean. The toilets are spotless. Brad's hair is trimmed and looking sharp and my toes are bright and happy. The carpets have been vacuumed over and over and I have fully caught up on laundry just in case we need to grab my robe and a nightgown sometime this week. Things are done. How often can you say things are done. Even on our wedding day we didn't have time to get wine in the communion glass so we had to pretend during that part of the ceremony. Did you know that? Nope. We are amazing actors. I would just love to have a list to check through today as it is the first time in years that literally Brad and I have not a thing to do but wait and stare at my belly wondering if the little person in there might ever want to come show us his hair color and his tiny features.

Don't get me wrong...I know we will crave weekends like this starting next month but right now - this is almost torture. Even Amos is bored and has turned to staring at the walls to see if something might come out of them to play with him. Little does he know everything around here is about to be different.

Last week I even began offering to run personal errands for friends all over town just to have something to do to keep my mind occupied. It sure was fun shopping through Nordstrom with someone elses credit card I tell you what! For someone who didn't accept being pregnant until 3 months ago I was surprised at my anxiety last week and continuing this weekend. Last night I was supposed to bring dessert to supper club and of course everyone told me I should just pick something up because "you are 10 months pregnant." No way! I wanted something to bake just to take up the hours and so that is just what I did...I took 3 hours to make a cake that - to be honest - didn't taste at all like a 3 hour cake. I turned the 7 minute frosting into 18 minute frosting just to take more time and I even followed every direction, with no short cuts just to take up any spare minutes.

So what to do now? What would you do if you were home 7 days before a real person was supposed to appear in your life and it was raining and you had not a thing to do? Watch a movie. I'll fall asleep. Read a book. I can't read anymore - Brad and I have read every book regarding pregnancy that Borders could offer......that is so unlike us! Nap. I am not a napper - never have been but I hear I will be. Write thank you notes. Done. It seems to me like this would be the perfect time to have a baby. If only I were in control of all of this......

I guess I'll watch Amos as he watches the walls.



*My view of the babe. My toes look awesome (after a pedicure this week!) even though you can't see them.

1 comment:

  1. Look at your belly, amazing. I can hear the excitement in your words, you are ready, Mama! Well, my "guess" was for the 19th, so that means tomorrow....any contractions, yet? Come on baby boy!! Ha. Only when he is good and ready. Well, just wanted to say hi, thinking and praying for you during this week of waiting and anticipation.

    ReplyDelete