Thursday, June 25, 2009

One month milestones

Once upon a time I was the best record keeper I knew. The husband would probably attest to this fact. I can remember if he brushed his teeth four nights ago and exactly how much we spent at dinner the night of our anniversary. Therefore, he would agree (with a snarl) that I am the worlds best mental record keeper. I wish I wouldn't keep such good notes on people and myself. I'd give everyone more of a break if I could just forget things!
I am talking about written records though. I have had a locked journal since I was 6. Literally. I wrote about my favorite friend and color and when I wanted to go to Disney World. In 3rd grade my cousin and I wrote secrets in a journal we made and we hid them in the Whitney Houston record album cover in dad's box of records in his office. It was fun to forget about them and find them years later and laugh about the things that I thought needed to be secret at the mischievous age of 10. And as many of you know, I have loved writing on a blog for several years now thanks to Charlsie - she got me into this whole gig and I love it!

But with the expansion of our family I can't seem to remember the boy's name - I constantly call him the dog's name - much less, I can hardly remember what happened this morning enough to write about it....but alot has happened. So, for our own sake and that of our families here are a few milestones that come to mind. I hope I can do a better job in the future remembering even the little things that happen throughout the day......
A few of Brooks' most admirable accomplishments:
*Lifting his head on his own when he lays on his tummy
*Gaining over 2 lbs since he left the hospital!
*Turning atleast one corner of his mouth up continuously to work on his smile AND he has given us a rare first smile in the last few days (this makes me so excited for the day when he truly smiles at us because he is happy. I know I said I wouldn't wish the days away but I would love to know that he is happy sometime.)
*Growing out of his newborn pajamas because his feet are so stinkin long
*Blowing up his diaper all the way to his shoulders (this was fun)
*Making his first starts of sounds other than crying (It sounded like he said "Beer"....uh oh!)
*Catching his own gaze in the mirror that I hung on the changing table
*Enjoying nightly baths
*Peeing on his daddy nearly every time he changes him
*Sleeping about 4.5 hours at a time at night (this is truly a good thing compared to his initital 3 hour intervals)
*Coughing, sneezing, burping, and tooting all at one time!
*Sleeping in his own crib
*Enjoying the bouncy seat or the crib for longer than 5 minutes
*Spending some time awake after he eats rather than passing out drunk right away from a good feeding

And a few of our most admirable (or not so admirable but memorable) accomplishments:
*Forgetting Brooks was in the car as we went in and out of the car last week looking at houses
*Taking Brooks on walks nearly every night....he loves the bumps!
*Learning to let him cry a little in the crib in order to put himself to sleep (this has truly paid off already)
*Changing diapers and clothes from a "Blow-out-up-the-back-to-the-shoulders" type of stinky diaper
*Getting peed on nearly every diaper change. You would think that we would learn.
*Towing Brooks around Atlanta like we would a tourist....the pool, Marietta, Brookhaven, midtown, Alpharetta and everywhere in between has been visited. We want him to love his city!
*Leaving the babe with a generous babysitter already......my mom
*Discovering the best soothing technique by sitting on the porch and letting the sound of the traffic hush the babe (this accomplishment is all thanks to Brad. This is his best kept secret and he plans to write a book for dads on how to properly soothe the baby that cries right when the husband walks in the door.)


More to come next month. I know the list will only continue to grow daily and probably at a more rapid pace. I can't take all of the change so quickly. Where did our newborn go?

No comments:

Post a Comment