Saturday, September 11, 2010

Ingredients for a really sweet Saturday

First ingredient: Good news
Yesterday we received the best phone call and the biggest answer to prayer. Little baby William was tested earlier this week for Cystic Fibrosis due to some abnormal numbers that came back from his newborn screen in the hospital. This was certainly a long and trying week for all of us but for some unknown reason I was unusually calm. Brad and I sat in the garden at Children's hospital holding our new baby and hoping he would sweat as that is how he is tested for the disease. And we prayed and thanked God for this baby's first 3 healthy weeks. Even then, before the good news, I just knew that all would be okay....not that he would be free from the disease but that all would be okay. I have clung to Psalm 18 these past 6 weeks as a dear friend sent the words to me in the midst of my pre-delivery insomnia. I will admit, I haven't been attached to scripture in a very long time. I read it, I try to memorize it and fail and then I close the book and move on. But in this season the messages to me have been so clear and so powerful and truly, the words have been the only thing that has truly rescued me from the big ugly things like insomnia to the minute things like a prayer for 10 minutes of solstice during the day. At one point the words say "he rescued me because he delighted in me." I don't think anyone can read the words "He delighted in me" and not melt just a little bit. How enjoyable to be "delighted in." Of course, in the midst of the diapers and lack of personal hygiene and the lack of sleep I have felt nothing close to desirable but I wake up every morning and I say - He rescued me because He delighted in me. Ahhhhhhhhh.......

So anyway....I have said pieces of this scripture to myself often over the last several weeks. My God is my rock and my fortress. And during these last days of waiting the news of little bit's health- I needed a rock. Luckily we did get good news and we have all been so elated the last 24 hours. This disease was not our cross to bare. I know there will be other hurdles but for now we are so grateful that William is perfectly healthy and will not have to battle this disease. Thank you for your prayers and concern. Here is a picture of the two boys sweating it out together. I'll forever look at this picture and get a little weepy thinking of the way we were "rescued" from this particular battle for the moment.
Second ingredient: A long walk
I am obsessed with many things today. The Bob Double stroller. Yes, it is as big as a Cadillac and cost slightly more but it is soooo worth it! We have enjoyed so many walks in our neighborhood in the past 3 weeks. This is my sanity everyday - especially on a pretty Saturday with Big B around to help out. Brooks gets a sucker to lick on and rub in his hair for an hour, William gets some vitamin D and I get high on good feelings! I LOVE getting outside with the boys. It may be the only place we go for awhile until I figure out how to tackle other seemingly normal things like the laundry and the mall so I hope the boys like it as much as I do! I am hoping that pushing the 80lbs up hill a few times a week will help with this post-baby-yucky-flab. Awesome.
Third ingredient: Football

Enough said. You would think Brad had just been named man of the year and given a billion dollars and an endless supply of Miller Lite.....he is one happy husband which makes me happy and Brooks smile and William.....well, he doesn't notice but he will one day. And now that dad wears a UGA hat, Brooks will finally attempt to wear one too. Don't get me wrong - I love some Southern football. I grew up going to Athens and I've sat in Vince Dooley's lap and even been to the movies with Larry Munson (shady, I know but that's another story) BUT I love football even more now because it makes the boys happy. If they are happy then they let me go out in the mornings by myself and ride with my windows down and work out and go to stores and eat lunch by myself and that is worth all the football watching a boy wants to do. I love fall football!
Last ingredient: Sleeping babies. Thank you sweet God for creating the nap. {Yes, his outfit may be a tad too big (haha - a little more than a "tad") but we aren't concerned. He is cute and could wear a tie and clown shoes and look precious.}
Oh yes, and SLEEP! The necessary ingredient is sleep and I got 8 of those hours of sleep last night thanks to super-husband. EIGHT STINKIN hours!!!! I haven't slept 8 hours straight since May and it feels sooooooo good. Call me today if you want to hear one rested and elated lady. I LOVE SLEEP!
Oh, and more more thing - A sale. I bought a whole bunch of goodies for the kiddos at this scrumptious little store all for half price because of this amazing iphone App. Now the money I saved can go towards a treat for me this week.
Happy Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. I love you and this post! Praise the Lord for good news Betsy! Cant wait to see William-cant believe I havent already!

    ReplyDelete