Wednesday, September 1, 2010

It does take a village

My left leg is shaky and my eyes keep bolting from one side of the house to the back porch. No, I don't have any rare disease that I know of but I do have the "quiet-house-aphobia." I feel it those few times during the week when everything in the house is quiet but the dishwasher and Amos snoring. This shouldn't be the case, right? There are two little people in this abode and everyone warned me about the chaos that I was going to experience. Don't get me wrong - there are moments of utter chaos like this morning when one little guy pooped in my lap as I was feeding him all the while his brother was walking around "cleaning" things with his syrupy hands. Thank you, brother, for your help. Usually the chaos only sneaks up a few times during the day when it just so happens that two boys are hungry or two boys are waking up and wanting undivided attention. Otherwise, this is manageable. With help that is....manageable with truly the help of a village.
In the past week we have had neighbors bring us dinners, take our dog out for a play date. yes, I said, dog. What kind of friends even want to love on your dog when a new baby enters the picture? We've had mommy's come take Brooks for rides in the car or a morning out. We've had our mothers cook, clean, wipe noses and bottoms, shop, and not sleep all in the name of selfless help. We've had friends drop off gifts and lunch and offer to take our laundry to the local laundry man. I know the newness of our new life with two kids will soon die and so will the phone calls and the visitors but until then I am truly soaking up all of the support that our "village" has offered these past several weeks. Honestly, two or five kids is doable if you have the help from friends, neighbors, and family that we have had since William arrived.
My heart really is so full. I know my last post was all about being grateful and I know you don't want to tune into me every week (and now only about once a week) to hear my sappy stories of joy and gratitude but when the house is this quiet and clean and there is supper on the way and lunch was just brought to me - all I can feel is thankful. Thank you, everyone, for being our village during this transition.
And, now, I am seriously going to shut my eyes and enjoy the quiet. Amen!
Here are a few shots from the best help we had living with us all last week. We miss you, grandma!

3 comments:

  1. i think my favorite part of newborns is the tiny fists up at their faces. i'm sure I'll cry when MK stops doing this. Brad's mama looks like such a doll. It does take a village. And p.s. I am waiting with baited breath for your help to slow down so I can come break up the monotony and have a long overdue lunch with you and your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I loved hanging out the other day. I want to do that again real soon. You can come to my house (when you feel like driving to Marietta) and Brooks can make a huge mess like Lee did at your house. And, because you like to get out : ) when it is cooler (even just a little) lets meet at the river and you can use your big ole stroller. I'm proud of you Betsy! I think you are doing GREAT! I hope I can do two as well as you. Love you friend!

    OH - I also must tell you about this. Whit always has a hard time falling asleep (and then waking up) and Christie told him about a vitamin MELATONIN that she takes every night because her medicine made her have serious insomnia (like months and months of no sleep). She started taking melatonin and now sleeps. And, Whit has taken it for 2 nights and slept like a champ AND it makes him not snore. Its like a miracle vitamin and it is totally natural. I hope you are sleeping but if not check that out.

    Sorry - this is so long it should have been an email or phone call!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put us down on the list for taking the dog on a play date....seriously...totally up for it! Tell me when and where and I'm there with Riggs for some extra fun for Amos. Sounds like you are having fun with the boys!!!

    ReplyDelete