Monday, November 8, 2010

Full circle

My friend is having her first baby maybe as I type...... if not already.....We are all so anxious to hear the news.

I am so giddy over this new life and the reminder of what this dear little life means to me personally. This baby girl reminds me that everything in Gods plan does come around - full circle in His own timing. My friends shared the story that many of you are familiar with - the story of infertility...or so they thought. My friend is the best friend to a new moms that you will ever meet and all the while she has had the longing to carry and give birth to her own child. When I found out we were pregnant unexpectedly with William I did the most shameful thing. I didn't trust God with my friends heart or her story. I was too embarrassed for a few days to tell anyone that we were yet again expecting a child but especially her for fear of enabling her disappointment in her own plan for children.

Nearly two months later after a very uplifting week away at a retreat my friend had come to the beautiful place in her heart that God would give her a child naturally, without resolving to science in the form of IVF. In this case, it wasn't that IVF was wrong - she just knew she was supposed to wait. I can remember the day on the phone. Brooks was napping, I was pregnant and living in Savannah. I walked around my front yard on the phone with my friend hearing the most peaceful voice I had heard in a long time. She knew our sweet Father would make her a mommy one day and she was okay to wait on Him. Fortunately, she didn't have to wait very long and was pregnant within a few weeks. What I can remember better is the day I ran into my friend on our usual walk in our new neighborhood in Atlanta. I had a feeling that something was different and before the words could come out of her mouth I was a hysterical mess. Tears of joy fell to the sidewalk. Joy for my friend and her husband that their prayers had been answered but also tears of repentance because though I had said that God had a plan for her - I didn't fully believe it myself......She had waited for so long and had been such a selfless servant to so many of her dear friends, including me, as we walked through our own pregnancies.....when was God going to come around for her? This is where my view of God was so wrong. I wouldn't have labeled it as such at the time but it is clear - I had aquaited God's blessings with our behavior and my view had failed me. If my sweet friends behavior had been so perfect - so trusting - even during her time of sorrow then why hadn't God provided for her? My heart aches to think of my misunderstanding of grace at the time. But thankfully, God also had me in mind when he created this little girl. He knew that I, too, would get to experience His grace just as my friends did just by witnessing His perfect timing for a blessing in the form of a baby girl.

I am so elated that today they finally get to meet their baby girl that has been the desire of their hearts for so long. More so, I am so thankful that God allowed me and so many others to experience His perfect timing in bringing them a child at the most perfect time. I truly believe He does come around full circle....it's just in His own time - which is the time He can receive the most glory and praise for what He has done.

Happy Birthday, baby girl! Your life already has so much purpose and has already been used greatly. What a way to come into the world......

2 comments:

  1. betsy, you have such a precious love for your friends. this new mama is so blessed to have you walk by her side. you are the kind of friend people wait a lifetime to have...i'm so glad i know you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me tear up at the start of the day. Thanks for putting into words our sweet friend's journey.

    ReplyDelete