Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Eat more Chicken!

I called Brad yesterday and told him I had done something I had never ever done before. At the grocery store.

Brad's tone didn't even change when he said, "Did your pants fall down?" As if that would be a usual and customary phone conversation for us to have on a Monday.

"No, goober," I bought something I have never bought before. He reminded me that I do that every week as I get sucked into the BOGO offers at Publix way too easily. Then he asked if I bought lima beans and I reminded him I wouldn't do that if it was the only item left in the store and my family hadn't eaten in 4 days. Yuck!

"I bought a whole chicken. Like a real live chicken. Well, not really live but as close to live as I have ever come just hours before it makes it's way to our bellies."

Yes, friends, I did. I bought the WHOLE chicken. I have had women mention in the past that this is the "cool" way to eat chicken - parts and all for years now but I can barely even eat a chicken nugget without getting a little squeamish, let alone baste and dress my very own WHOLE chicken.

So for the last 24 hours I have been preparing myself mentally. Thoughts like "I think I can I think I can I know I can I know I can" just like the little engine that could running through my head. Yesterday all the elements aligned - the kids were both sleeping and the laundry was obviously being avoided but I just couldn't fathom even unwrapping the naked bird.

Then just a mere 20 minutes ago I sat before my chicken, just me and the chicken and some celery, and I gave myself a little pow wow and something in me decided I was ready (atleast for one day) to be the domestic diva that so many of my friends seem to be - atleast on their blogs. I wanted to take beautiful pictures of me and the chicken getting to know each other but really the whole affair was over in about 2.5 minutes as any second longer would have sent me over the edge.

But now that Mr. Bird is in the oven and everything from the front door handle to Brooks' shoes have been disinfected for possible flying chicken juices - I am feeling pretty amazing about our dinner for tonight and hopefully the next few nights. It really wasn't that bad.....and even if the thing blows up like the turkey on Christmas Vacation - it was worth the $14 (I chose organic) to just feel as confident, competent, and resourceful as I do now!

I take no claim in this little recipe. A favorite friend circled an email about 6 weeks ago asking for new dinner ideas. I've had friends do this in the past and it gets nowhere but this is the kind of friend you want to keep and you want to have as much of her as you possibly can so I immediately responded with my simple recipe. Then, another friend of "the" friend responded with the unthinkable....the whole chicken! Thank you, girls, for spicing up our meals around here and challenging me to think outside of the steamfresh veggies in a bag, and rotisserie chicken from Publix box(not that there is a thing wrong with that because I am sure I will be back to good ole Mr. Publix's already prepared and slimed and greased chicken next week).

Roasted WHOLE chicken
Umm yes, the first step called for rinsing the chicken. This may have been the worst part as I had to take the little guy by his wings which reminded me of getting William out of the bath. The two thoughts mixed and all of a sudden I didn't want to bathe the chicken anymore.
I proceeded.
The next step is to remove the giblets.
I called for help.
I called my father in law. Now most of you would not be able to say that but I am so happy that I can. If anyone on this planet knew what to do with a cold, whole chicken, he would. He told me about the giblets (I can't even write that word without gagging) and told me that if they weren't in the middle then they weren't there. This part really got me because I really thought there would definitely be a bag of stuff - stuff that I don't even want to imagine - yet there wasn't one and I am just so worried I just didn't look hard enough. Anyway, I went with his word and carried on in a very fast manner. The quicker the better.

I salt and peppered the chicken all over and then I brushed him with olive oil. On the inside I placed a half of a lemon, some garlic, and the lovely celery. I put him in the oven at 425 degrees to do his thing for the next hour and a half or as my friend said - until the juices run clear. Gag.

Anyway, I'm going to do more amazing things around the house while the boys nap. If I keep this up for any more than 3 days question my motives or any misuse of illegal substances. I hope to post a picture of a plump and smiling husband partaking in his very own whole chicken in about 6 hours. Hold tight!

5 comments:

  1. I will come remove your next set of giblets if you forward me the email with recipe ideas on it. We had veggies in the steamfresh bag last night. And we're having the leftovers tonight. Ick. I might sneak away to mcdonalds and then tell husband I'm not hungry. Make sure to let us know how the chicken is. I'd have to buy one of those pan things you have to hold the chicken but I might get adventurous and try it. And husband has banned me from publix. Apparently we don't need oatmeal, crystal light or chef boyardee for a year. The BOGO's kill me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you Betsy. We hosted Thanksgiving this year and Sam had to do the turkey b/c it grossed me out! We buy rotisserie chicken a lot at Kroger and Sam guts it so I can use the meat for a couple recipes that week. I've been wanting to try to do that with a whole chicken..I have a friend that eats off that for the week for her family! Hope it goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did it! I still haven't done it! I want to hear what all you make with it. Have you tried the spaghetti bake? It is really good. Thanks for your kind words about me : ) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving that you guys have never cooked a whole chicken. I must be weird because I cook a whole chicken almost weekly. It's like the easiet thing I do. It makes so much meat and takes literally 3 minutes to prepare and you just put it in the oven and it comes out amazing. Better way to do it...Coat the whole thing in olive oil, sprinkle garlic salt, pepper, seasoning of your choice. My favorite is Cavender's all purpose greek seasoning. Then wrap the whole thing in tin foil, cook for 1 1/2 hours and the last 1/2 hour take the foil off so the skin will cook and not be soft (which I find sort of gross). So good! and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. I was saying the other day that even though I might not have a lot of fancy recipes under my belt, I knew what to do with a whole chicken. I feel like that is a milestone!

    Kate always makes the chicken talk about how he doesn't really want to go into the oven, and how it was cold in the fridge, and makes his little legs dance. For some reason I've never found this anything but hilarious.

    ReplyDelete