Thursday, February 14, 2008

I wore pink today

And I will admit it was out of a festive heart. Though I've never been one to wear orange the day before Halloween or green so no one will pinch me on the 17th day of March. I dont have a Christmas sweater or snowman earrings that I used to adorn. But today I was feeling loved so I wore pink. It's not so obvious that you would stop and think, "hmmmm....she wore pink on Valentine's day," but just enough to make me feel festive.
This spirit began lastnight when I got out all of my new kitchen tools and started baking V-day treats for Brad. You see, I had asked many weeks ago in light of trying to stick to a budget - that he really, I mean really do not spend any money on this Hallmark-Holiday. Really. I meant it, B-rad, really. But as it would go Brad did make a few reservations somewhere tonight, just so I could have a choice. Now, I agree...he probably thought he couldnt have won either way because he thought that if he really planned nothing I would be secrelty disappointed. But then if he does plan something I can blatantly say that I was hoping not to spend the money. Girls are difficult I tell you. And to be honest...had he not made any dinner reservations I would really be happy....as long as he did thoughtfully think of some unique way to ask me to be his Valentine. (As of now he hasnt asked so my vote is up in the air....and right now, Sarah at work is winning with the surprise "mailbox with mail" on my desk this morning.)They were talking about this on the radio how men will drop by a jewlery store on the way home tonight and spend a few hundred on some silly diamond earrings. Not that diamonds are silly at all but I guess on Valentines day they are. How bout the day before or after? How bout some creativity boys? While I was making my treats lastnight I began to ponder all the ways I could be surprised. Easy! It just takes a little more thought than red roses. (Brad just threw away the roses he bought on the way to work I bet...ha ha.) Anyway, so on the radio the women were calling in saying that really what does it for them is something thoughtful. And that is where the problem lies.
This is not meant to be a rant about how many are incompetent in expressing their feelings or thinking outside the box, really, the opposite. This is to convince men (the one that reads this) that they have it in them! I know it. The dilemma is that women sit and day dream all day while at work or doing motherly type things and men....well they work when they are at work and thus, don't have as much thought time. Sidenote: my Valentine lastyear (B-rad...but he hasnt asked me yet this year, remember) took me to see what we thought was a play but turned out to be a ballet (and I'm a poet and didn;t know it!). Now that was something to endure even for a dance-fanatic like myself. We had a great time and enjoyed ourselves. This year we are claiming to have a budget for everything (though I dont know exactly what it is so I wonder if it is effective???) so a play or ballet or $200 dinner really wouldnt be wise nor enjoyed as much.
Therefore, I have comprised this "cheat sheet" for any male reading this post. You can refer at any point in the future. Disclaimer: Though these are truly my ideas from years of day dreaming...they are only a short list so as to spurn your own brilliant displays of affection. And, starting today for one year - you will receive ALL credit if you choose to implement any of these ideas. As of right now, it will all be forgotten by me so surprise away!
*Wife LOVES to dance. www.hotlantasalsa.com Has salsa class packages for a Thursday night one hour lesson. $104 for 8 classes, that means 4 each.
*Ewww....adding on to that....Wife LOVES salsa! Like the red hot stuff. It is certainly her favorite food and she likes to eat it until she cries. How about a Mexiacan fiesta at home topped with a homeamade salsa (www.recipes.com) and then we shuffle over to Hotlanta Salsa for an hour class. Nice.
*Wife has been wanting Dora the Explora to get a bath lately but with the drought she feels guilty going to the carwash (yes, I know they say they "recycle" but my point to that is that they are still using the water in the first place....)So how about sneaking her car out on a Saturday and running it through the $6 car wash at the gas station. Money in the bank!
*Wifey LOVES to write. Email her and somehow ask her for the password to the blog and then you can sneak in and write her a blog. Simple.
Remember, Men (or man), YOU get all the credit (for the next year at least.)
*Okay, here is a B-rad trick that I love. This Monday I came into my office to find a sign on my computer screen from hubby. He wished me a happy week. The piece of art is hanging in my office for all to see. I was such a proud girl that day!
*Here is another one Brad has already mastered. Chores! Brad is great about doing small things around the house that are such a treat. And guys if you need a little more persuading about this one, read here. (Just a warning: material is R-rated) Bottom line is that men helping around the house is more beneficial than roses today. B-rad is good at this one so I'll let him give you the best pointers. Boys, you could really make this one work for you, too. ANd get more recognition. You know how in grade school when you had about $4 to spend on mom on Mother's day you would write a "coupon" for a backrub or something. Well, that was brilliant! The women love the coupon and you get credit for even the daily things you probably do anyway.

Okay, I need to do some work but I have a feeling these thoughts will be invading my head all morning so stay tuned. In the meantime, put back the flowers and the $4 card and steal the magazine that you read at work during when you are...you know..being a man in the bathroom. Cut out some letters and tape them onto even just a white sheet of computer paper. Fold the paper in half and write a simple note on the inside. I will go ahead and tell you that, Yes, I would LOVE to be your Valentine.

No comments:

Post a Comment