Monday, February 4, 2008

Oh, I wish I had pictures to show you

If I did I would show you pictures of the contintent-sized blisters on the insides of my feet as well as the oversized smile on my face today - one day after a blissful weekend in and around Atlanta.
Brad and I had a lovely Friday evening OTP at the Marietta highschool basketball game. Yes, my sister is a cheerleader so most of all I wanted to see her stuff but yes, I, too, wanted to go... just to go. I cant tell you the memories that surround my days as a cheerleader for the 1999 State Basketball champs. In lieu of retelling you can read here. Marietta has never poured too much into the cheerleading program so as a result many of the cheers my sweet little sister shouted to the crowd Friday night are the very same ones I would practice on the weekends in highschool in front of a video camera. This is one of the only true confessions that I will make about that. I did it. I know. I was a perfectionist and to be honest, a little unbendable at the time so I would do all I could to teach my body to try to contort like the other more malleable girls on the squad. Let's face it - I could barely touch my toes but I was in my sweet spot and even a few embarrassing struggles were worth the thrill of it all to me. So Brad and I did all things Marietta Friday night. We ate Mexican at the local cheap mexican eatery where are Marietta resident friends have a "booth" just for them. I also walked at the mountain that afternoon. I wont even begin to describe the aura around this place. You can read it, too, in the old blog. And, then, like mentioned..we rubbed toes with my old highschool guidance counselor, cheerleading coach and atheletic director who are still at my alma mater doing what they do best. Brad tells me he is a baller on the court in highschool but aside from a few hoops at the gym I have seen no evidence of this. My dad and I offered him one million dollars to go down to half court at half time to try to win a hotdog bu making the shot from the line. He gave us every excuse possible. Really, he has brand new amazing cowboy boots on and I think he probably couldnt have made it on the court without falling backwards. You got to sacrifice to look good right? And boy does B-rad look hot in his new boots!

Saturday was even better. B-rad was supposed to be writing a paper all day. At 1:30 my brilliant husband phoned me to say he was done. For the weekend!!! What?? I had planned to do girl things all weekend. Clean, pilates, paint toenails, organize.. .you know...the ush' (short for usual, mama)but with this surprise phonecall that afternoon the weekend took a different spin. Brad and I went and bought me some rollerblades! For real. They are silver and blue and match many of my workout outfits so I look semi professional as long as I dont go anywhere on the things. For our first attempt at skating our neighborhood B-rad rode his bike while I skated along side. Correction. B-rad rode the pedals of his bike while I grasped fearfully to his huge bicep all the way around the neighborhood. Basically on day one I "rolled" and Brad braked. No skating involved. Lots of fun though. Talk about love connection - we looked like the biggest dorks roller-biking arm and arm around our neighborhood on a sunny and 65 kind of perfect afternoon.
That evening we treated ourself to one of favorite dinners at Seasons 52 because we deserved it! Brad and I love this spot for a relaxing dinner for two. The ambiance of the piano bar id a must for anyone looking to relax and feel treated.

Okay, so fast foward to Sunday. We have a splendid idea to take a picnic to Piedmont park. We'll first skate like the professionals we are and then enjoy a little picnoc in our favorite spot where we got engaged. Sounds sappy and romantic, yes? Well, rollerbladers arent allowed in the park. So, we wolf down our picnic in the car (sweet) and head back to the neighborhood that we took by storm the day before. This time we both look hideous but have fun all the while. See, the thing is B-rad is actually a little trixter on these wheels. Believe it or not the South Georgia peanut expert I married used to skate all over town and do tricks on public property. Just what you like to hear, right. Supposedly he was a superstud on these things and I will atest - he's still got it. For the most part atleast. Anything involving hills (bc there are so few in Plains, Ga) he looks kind of like a chicken on wheels but when it comes to turns and leaps - he is a true performer. My feet were so sore from my experience the day before that I really just walked in wheels around the neighborhood. Nonetheless, we both laughed and told eachother that we were the greatest couple of rollerbladers in Brookhaven. And that's all anybody needs, right? Right.
We ended our wonderful weekend in Newnan Georgia.
Why you may ask? Friends, food, soon to be wedding celebrations and the Superbowl. We had burgers and caught up with several friends we hadnt seen in awhile. We felt like experts since we have been married all of a whole quarter now. Old and married...I tell you.
Cheers to a relaxing weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment