Monday, May 16, 2011

I NEED birthday cake

Some of the best entertainment on a normal day comes from the mouth of a juvenile. It certainly brings me a sense of pride when I teach the soon-to-be-2-year-old a new song or a portion of the ABC's and then he repeats his new found lesson throughout the day. I never really played teacher growing up. I was more of the office or business kind - always making up a way to make a dollar off of some of my treasured crap. Puff painted sweat shirts anyone? And I don't think I have an ounce of teacher-type-patience in me so therefore, I am thankful for school. If his growth were left up to me alone right now I think he would know alot about useless things like Bethenny Frankel, circadian rhythm, and how many sit ups it takes to burn off a bag of m$m's. So it is always an eye opener when I hear the little goober spouting off real live sentences that mean something and I knooooowww he didn't hear them from me!

His latest is his greatest. He needs everything now. No longer does he want a piece of candy, he neeeeeds it. He says it with such conviction that I find myself giving in 9 times out of 10. Yesterday we were at a 2 year old birthday party. "Mommy, I need birthday cake." I was enjoying conversation with some grown ups and so I immediately gave him the object of his affection. Well, he got his manipulation from me I think because no sooner than his tongue had faded back to a non-icing color had he implored to the softy of the family, "daddy, I neeeeeed birthday cake." Two days ago I found myself correcting him everytime he needed something so desperately. I tried to convince him that he just wanted it and the two were different. I said, Brooks, mama needs you to learn how to use the potty. Mama needs a vacation. Mama needs to stop eating M&M's all day everyday. On the other hand Brooks wants birthday cake weeks before his actual birthday and Brooks wants to go outside to play in my car - he doesn't need to. Get it, Mister? To which he responded, I need daddy.


The little man is off at "school" right now and I admit, I am a little remorseful this week. It was just months ago that I dropped him off and cried the whole three hours in the parking lot because I felt so terrible leaving him in the hands of someone else. It took him almost two months to actually like "school." And now when I pick him up he is usually laying on the bean bag chair on the floor with his legs crossed and propped on the table as is he Mr. BMOC. He gets that cool-arrogance from my other half I am sure. I have one more week to say he is one year old. I loved having a one year old. I know each stage carries it's own burdens and joys but I think one is fascinating. I never knew how humbling it would be to watch a little person that somehow you created (well, God created, but you know what I mean) as he learns about the simplest things. Brooks gets joy in picking the bark off of a tree. Oh, for that kind of child like faith to take over my mind! One to two years for me is really the most fun I have ever had....and to think I haven't even felt my best this year? I can't imagine watching William as he explores the trees and animals and, oh....steak (for real, I think he is ready for a steak or a burrito!)in this next year. Here's to expecting that I will feel even better this 2nd time around...I may have sensory overload if that's the case!

I need to clean up the house but I want to watch the Today show and enjoy my last week of Brooks' getting entertainment educated.

1 comment:

  1. I just spit diet coke all over the computer I am borrowing to work (read blogs) when I read "I need daddy."

    Okay- email me. I need to hang out with that kid for the laughter. (and his mama!)

    ReplyDelete