Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mr. Potato Head


My dad got it right this time. He calls William a stomach with eyes....kinda like the Mr. Potato head that Brooks like to torture in between torturing his brother and his stuffed animals. Oh and Amos (he is certainly the victim in all of this.)
Yesterday we went to the pediatrician, aka: My Biggest Cheerleader, for William's Biggest Loser weigh in well visit. The best news is that the little potato is right in line with every other potato out there - round and dominating when it comes to head brain size. Of course every nurse at every appointment, pulls out the same joke about the "brains in there," to which I mildly smile and ask for reassurance that the rest of his body may one day catch up??
Which reminds me of a crude scenario I encountered earlier this month during a routine 2 year old-Sunday (read: I should be more appropriate day) birthday party. Several non-dad dudes and one recently named dad were having a normal conversation (normal in our world) about the massive head on William. I was holding the potato head and overhearing the comments about how they wouldn't want to get in a fight with him and how they never knew a baby's head could be so large. I am not sure what pushed me to say what I said and I am further not sure why I am exclaiming now from the rooftops what I so absurdly said. It wouldn't have been so cruel had it been like a mom's playgroup or something but these dudes just wanted to maintain their coolness at a baby's birthday party and not necessarily have to talk about babies and other gooey subjects like where they came from.
"Hey, that head your'e referring to had to come out of somewhere." {Silence. Squeamish giggles and then the dudes walk away to find the nearest/quickest Miller Light.}
Anyway, it is true, William has the largest head he can have on the charts and one of the shorter bodies but like the nurses say - we'll just call it brains in there. Fortunately, because his head is so big it makes his precious little fat rolls just seem not so overcoming. And as any mother would say about their own child - I think he is just precious and perfect in every way...I love the way his wrists look like they were screwed on and I love the way his legs look in a short-all outfit. Both my mom and I agree that he should not be picked up unless he is kissed a minimum of 6 times. It's a must when you are that yummy!

So overall William is doing great at 9 months. Here are just a few notes for the baby book:
-Wears 9 month to 12 month clothing. It's crazy to have a baby that actually wears the size that matches his age. I thought all the baby clothes makers were smoking something when labeling the clothes for size until now.
-Likes to eat.
-Understatement: Would eat beef stroganoff if I let him. {Not that I have ever made that but it sounds pretty advanced when it comes to food.}
-Still adores watching his brother which is truly the best part about having these babies so close together. William doesn't need a toy - he just needs his brother.
-Sleeps like a champ. Thank you, God! Sleeps at night about 7pm-7:30am and takes 2-2 hour naps a day. Thank you, God, too, for naps!
-Has just started showing a little separation anxiety and I won't lie - I kinda like it.....
-He still likes to be held. I'll never forget that first day after we so easily sent him to the nursery at the hospital and the nurse came back to tell me that the night went great but "that baby wants to be held....all the time."
-His top two teeth are starting to show. I was a little concerned about this. i thought babes always got the bottom two first? I think this is going to be our defy-the-norm kinda boy!
-He is reckless as a 9 month old can be and has little reservation. This is so fun to watch his personality come alive. Brooks is certainly our cautious/ reserved child so far - he wouldn't run into a situation without first calculating it but not William. It doesn't matter how he has to get to what he wants or what peril may come his way - he is going for it! I love this about him.
-And luckily, he is a little more of a snuggler. He actually has a blanket that makes him shriek when I give it to him in his bed. Until now Brooks has needed no "lovey" or "bear" - just a cup of water for comfort at night. But of course as he has seen William take to an object for comfort so Brooks has now followed suit. I'm not kidding - our nap times include two bears, a stuffed dog named Turbo, George the monkey, AND TWO pillows! I'll have to catch a photo because it is pretty hilarious....Brooks trying to make it to bed with all of his things. Oh, and a car for good measure.

William's latest moves - scooting backwards under anything, smiling as usual, and serving as his brother's entertainment. We love you, little William. {Can we start raising a fund for a new camera so I will stop using the iphone camera? Sorry for the picture quality. I am not sure how I would capture half of their lives if I had to go find a good camera anyway!}

1 comment:

  1. I want this top picture framed for my mother's day gift from you. I love that face! I also want one of both the boys too. I can frame it .
    Love the "stomach with eyes". He makes me smile.
    Love Mama

    ReplyDelete