Wednesday, January 25, 2012

17 and 32

Odd numbers I know. Those are the months of life our two boys have given to us or the amount of months that we've spent half dressed, fairly unsocial, and most likely caked with three different staple foods at all times - syrup, oatmeal, and mac and cheese.

I know 5 or even 2 years from now I will not be able to tell my precious sister in law's and sister that FINALLY have kids what exactly happened at these ages and for that matter, I can't really recall what happens at any particular month along the way. I tend to look at these phases like this...it seems most fitting:

-B's infancy (what? Did that actually happen? I kinda feel like he came to me reciting the encyclopedia and jumping off ledges??)
-Savannah (wow, that was a short, sweet blip on the radar)
-A one year old and pregnancy
-W's infancy (aka: The horrible-awful-no good-miserable year haunted by insomnia that taught us so much and truly united us as a family)
-And the present: A two and one year old and yet another pregnancy

This morning at the gym a nosy lady who happens to be in the next phase with 3 kids - elementary school - reminded me (as if I wasn't aware) that it's all a blur and one big mess but it'll go quick and you'll get your body back soon enough. Thanks, lady. In my current stage of overlapping pregnancies and infancy's my body image is obviously not the priority. I'm enjoying it, I replied, and walked away (or preceded to throw the 12.5lb dumbbell at her rear!) I really don't care at this point about getting "my body" back, that has been the easiest part so far and the subject of my first book -"How to shed the baby weight: nurse and then get pregnant and sick again! And then do it again!" It's more the cynical attitude that most people with multiple children give off towards us mama's in the young years of raising children that can get to me. And, it's the exact opposite of how I hope to come across when my kids are off to school 7 hours a day and I am spending my hours wasted at the gym and over long lunches with friends. I hope then I can reminiscence about the sweet sweet time we had together - all day - everyday. Sure, these days are monotonous like nothing I've ever experienced before and often I find myself feeling really guilty over my circumstantial "boredom" but I am usually quickly snapped out of it by dear women like the one's at my gyms - the ones that didn't seem to find any sort of fun in the little years. So, for my already fading memory here are just a few tidbits about the 17 and 32 month old people in our house.


The fun at night with two boys....well, "three" boys
At 17 months, William,
-You can not walk into a room anywhere without being drooled over. I don't think you are really my child. Though your daddy is really cute I can't believe we have an offspring as edible as you. You loudly exclaim "Hiii" whenever you see a figure walking past you or running from you. You just can't help but be friendly!
-You have your own language and somehow your big "bubby" understands it as he usually tells me what you need. Amid your babble if I am to ask you if you want a snack, a treat, a cookie, a sucker, a hug, your blanky, daddy, or to be picked up you stop the babble and make a sound that doesn't sound like anything but because of your tone I know you mean "yes."
-You do EVERYTHING your big "bubby" does and therefore we are in trouble! Not as much trouble if it were the reverse but you just aren't big enough to climb in the car on your own, ride a bike, or walk down stairs but you think you are and this keeps me on my guard at.all.times!
-You have 2 teeth on the bottom and I don't think you'll ever get anymore. They are nowhere to be found. You have almost 6 on top but they don't look like they've made much progress since they came in. That doesn't stop you though. You'll eat dad's beef jerky or quarters if you see them (uh oh) as well as anything else in sight.
-You loooooooovvvvveeeeee your dad. And I looovvee watching and listening to you as you call for him all.day.long! My only trick I have left in the books if you are loosing your patience with me is to give you the iphone and turn on the home screen picture of your daddy and you light up and immediately start talking to him.
-You are defiant and it is usually pretty entertaining though I know I'll have to put my foot down on this one soon. Luckily, now I am too exhausted and wobbly to care. Yesterday as I was letting you exhibit your free will by walking out of the doctors office you immediately turned around as soon as I made an effort towards you you sprinted back to the elevator as the door shut. Your sly smile was priceless. Luckily the woman on the elevator knew what you were up to and allowed me to snatch you up before you were off. Fortunately for you I lughed this time but maybe not next time.
-You like to drink out of a cup like a grown person, put on your shoes or your dads like you know what you are doing.
-If I even utter the word "dance" you start kind of waddling like a duck and squatting down to touch your toes. I don't know where you get this stuff but it's good for my soul.
-Finally, you loove your stinky blanky about as much as your dad. You suck on all ends of this thing and you know if I try to give you a new, more pleasant smelling replacement. Is this why your teeth have stopped growing? Has the blanky sucking halted their growth? I have a feeling this stinky blanky will put me over the edge at some point but again, while I'm 6 months pregnant, you could get away with about anything. And that is also because you are sweet when it comes to bed time. As soon as I start to sing "jesus loves me" you lay your head on my shoulder and your eyes start going to fading. I hope you never ever get tired of these few little minutes together.



This morning you climbed up in the stroller at 8:08am and stared at me until I "strolled" you around the kitchen.

At 2.66 years old, Brooks"
-You absolutely amaze me. I don't know where you learn even a portion of the words, songs, moves, questions, exclamations, quotes or protests that you come up with but they never get old.
-Side note: Thank you for embarrassing me today more than I have ever been embarrassed. As my 6 month pregnant behind was trying to fit into a dress in the Target dressing room you so happily screamed "Mama you have a big booty! Can you shake it shake it shake it? I want to slap your booty!" (thanks Big B for teaching him that one!) Baaahhhaaa! Again, thank you, precious.
-You have your daddy's hair and though he is a stud I pity you. It doesn't know which way to go or grow and I can tell you one day, sweet child, you will need product, too, like your daddy. Did I say that out loud?
-You are easily entertained and always have been and had I not had your brother I would have thought every child is this way. You loooovee a toy and you love it for a long time. This makes it easy to give you gifts because you so easily please the giver.
-You are stubborn for no reason. You say "no" to your favorite things just to say no. You pull every trick out of the book to not go to sleep at night but then you are asleep within 3 minutes of us shutting the door.
-But you are oh so courteous and sweet to your little "bubby" and so I almost overlook any of your improper stubbornness. You bring him his blanket even if he doesn't want it. You find suckers at 830am and give him one and you two. You are always concerned if he is hungry, dressed, sleepy, happy, not sleepy...you name it. I am glad he has you to interpret his babble.
-You love to stay in your pajamas and stay home all day. This makes me melt. I drag you out of the house by 10:30 because I go stir crazy in the small space but you protest every time even if I am taking you to your favorite place. I love that you love our home and feel safe and adored here.
-You are pretty adamant about your growing faith already. If you even hear the name "Jesus" you declare that "he died on the cross to sabe me from my seds." Wow, pretty impressive for a little dude. It kinda sounds like we brain wash you but I know your heart and it is so sweet.
-You are almost a big boy. You don't use a high chair or toddler chair. You love to get to sleep in the big boy bed for naps. You buckle yourself into your car seat and you can partially dress yourself. This is such a great progression towards having to be a big boy in a few months when you are an older brother to two siblings! If only potty training could come as easily....
-You are very opinionated and particular. You like a certain spoon and a certain bowl on a certain day and I have yet to nail it all down. You like to do things the same way each time and you protest if anything is out of sequence. This is not me at all so I would love to know more about your dad at your age.....you have to resemble him!
-Amos is your 2nd best friend and I love to watch you chase him (annoy him) everyday. If it weren't for your entertainment with him he'd be gone a long time ago! Poor pup!
-Not a day goes by when someone doesn't comment on your to-die-for eyelashes. Since I am probably not going to have a girl in this little brood I guess this is the closest thing to having people compliment me on my pretty little girl! people would hurt people for your eyelashes!
-You sleep like a champ still and I do not take this for granted. 12 hours at night and usually a 3-3.5 hr nap every afternoon. You sure do know how to please me already!
-You wear 3T in clothing and have huge feet...a 9 already! You will barely let me put you in jon jon's and longalls but I still get to every once in awhile as long as you get to pick out your (stinky) "b'own" shoes.





I love you two people so much. Thank you for a magical 17 and 32 months. I am better because of them and I vow to remember these sweet times 5 years down the road and not the "mess" or "blur" (though there is alot of truth to those words!)

No comments:

Post a Comment