Monday, March 24, 2008

Weekend happenings...

Do you ever have those weekends that are so filling....so rich like a cream puff with chocolate on top but as soon as it is over you have to have a glass of milk to wash it down with or in this case.... a few more hours to detox from the combo of activity and emotion? This weekend was one of those. Brad and I finally made it back to the condo at 8:04 this morning and we both sat on the couch longing for just a few hours of nothingness. (I'd like to think that someone out there might actually think that Brad and I came home at 8:04 because of our crazy Easter celebration that lasted wee into the morning hours but I know we are known all too well......)

In a few short sentences - here is the "cream" in the cream-puff (mama's favorite!):

*We attended "Good Friday" services properly - on Friday. I asked our friends why the day was called such. To me, nothing that happened on that day was good. It is good for us now but on that day, in that time, thousands of followers and many close friends lost a teacher, a friend, a son, a leader and a prophet. Even if they didnt know at the time that He was the Messiah, he was gone and to me, there has to be more behind the day now called Good Friday. I am sure there is some Catholic church theology that could point me to the answer but truthfully, I was never an attentive Catholic and I usually cared more about what the family of 8 boys were doing in their pew than what was happening at the altar. Any sound answers are appreciated and welcomed. Nonetheless, the service was powerful. I'll spare the details but the service ended with a few artists writing in white paint several letters. A solumn song ended and the lights came on slowly and written across the 10 ft tall and probably 15 ft wide picture of Christ on the cross were the words: IT IS FINISHED.
ANd, really, that is all that needs to be said. The point was made and now I forever have the image of those words written so boldly and with such finality across the painting. If only I gave myself and others the grace that comes with truly believing those words "IT IS FINISHED."

*Brad and I turned into Puppy-trainer/house-sitter mode on Saturday. In case you dont read any further, know that Brad and I are the most enthusiastic house-sitters a hiring family could need. We will certainly make any home feel occuppied if asked. We grilled steaks outside while making great use of the outdoor fire place and dipping our toes in the 102 degree hottub. Salene hottub...sorry forgot that detail. Brad took a shower with two heads instead of one and be assured, he enjoyed every second of it....we surely excelled at our task this weekend. We are for hire. Inquire within.

*Not only did we house-sit but as I mentioned we puppy trained. How funny is life? Last week we convince ourselves that we need a canine friend in the family despite the fact that we don't have rom yet in the budget, neither of us are ever home and our condo doesnt allow for them! All true statements. Still, we are convinced. But then this weekend we walk into 3 puppy "messes" in the laundry room of the house we were so perfectly sitting. Needless to say, I didnt have much of an appetite for the steak afterwards and I sincerely started to question "Amos'" existence. PS - we have officially named him "Amos." I dont know if I should wait and surprise you with his name but I can't wait. Ill just surprise you when we actually get one. Amos Larry Munson Bagwell. So fitting for the dog we dont yet own. We have already talked about his schooling and discipline and we have even practived how we will say his name when he is in trouble but rest assured....no wagging tail anywhere in sight. Anyway, this weekend was humorous. Brad and I took the two dogs, Tucker and Harley, to Chastain park. We got so much attention and I dont know about BRad but I felt like the cutest person at the park. Everyone wanted to stop and talk to "my dog." So despite the messes and the clean-up, I think our walk yesterday may have been enough for Brad to pull the trigger. Just cross your fingers Amos because Brad and I have a deal and both stipulations have to be met before we can add you to the family photo. Cross your fingers, little buddy.

*Brad and I like to give presents to eachother but as we have discussed previously Brad always overspends on me when he buys presents for me. Most ladies wouldn't complain and I am not but one day we want to actually have a yard and a real mail box so splurges for Betsy on Canadian Independence day and on Boss's day and Peanut celebration day are not really helping us get there. THe budget was $15 and receipts could be sequestered if either party believed that the other violated the rules. Brad is so sneaky. He gave me some toasted animal crackers of course and some citrus vitamin water. This is a new favorite of mine. He also added a bottle of wine in there (which he will probably drink) with a note taped to it asking me to save the date for APril 12th. Now what do you think? If Brad has some plans that require funding outside of the $15 on April 12th did he break the rules? (Even though I am to benefit it is all about the rules right????) He does get lots of points for creativity and sneakyness. I love surprises so just thinking of the date or seeing April 12th on a calendar makes me giddy. I wont lie though, I have already scoured the web today to see who could possibly be playing a show that weekend or what festival might be in town...hmmm.....
I gave Brad a crossword puzzzle and some candy that he loves but I am sure I will end up eating...fair exchange for the wine, right? I also gave him a book that I also gave myself. It's alot more fun to read a book simultaneously with someone you love than alone. And, no, I didnt include the expense for my book in the $15. THe book is called The Shack by William P. Young. Yesterday Brad and I sat at the back of "our house" among the budding plants and the joyful birds and read together. Not together like outloud but next to each other...enjoying the sun and the silent company. Well, by 9pm I was half way through with the book and if it weren't for a bubbly bath calling my name I would have read the whole thing. The fun thing is that I never read the back of the book so I had no clue it would include a little suspense. I like to do this....not read the back cover just dive in and let my mind wonder...Anyway, this is a great read and if you can find it anywhere you should pick it up. It'll take you less than a week to read. You won't regret it. Better yet, I'll send you mine after I finish hopefully tonight.

*Easter dinner is summed up by Nana's pefectly cheesey-mac & cheese, mama's green beans like the ones at the wedding, a honey glazed turkey enough to wear me out and broccoli....my favorite of green things. Lucky for Brad and I - the newly wed factor still touches people and mama sent us home with enough leftovers for dinner and lunch tomorrow. I have been drolling all day just thinking about the treat that awaits me after a workout this evening. Scrumdiddilyumptious! I brought chocoalte chip cookies adorned with pastel peanut butter eggs in the middle and they were a hit! Aside from the food that I now feel literally flapping on the backs of my arms - lovely - the company was so needed. The boys came home from school and Mary had no mall to go to bc it was closed and no boy stealing her attention bc it was Easter so she was "fully" there too. Mama looked "amazing in heels" as my grandad with alzheimers reminded her. She blushed a little and I loved it. She did look great in heels and more so, I love to watch her and Nana both just shine when their kids are around. I just love family and crave anytime we can all be together. Yeah, I get made fun of alot but I certainly dish it back. Plus, now that Brad is my family, too, he ends up spending the whole car ride home affirming me that I am not as dorky or bossy as I am told I am from my family. Poor Brad!

Off to sneak in the next 10 pages of my book! What a great way to escape the work day for a few minutes.....

No comments:

Post a Comment