Monday, October 19, 2009

Adventures in babysitting

I love this old classic movie! Don't you? Lately I feel like I am 15 again rummaging through someones food pantry once the kids are to bed to find the perfect snack that maybe I wouldn't find in the pantry at home. It sure was easy back them to "play" house with another persons kids, in another persons home. Babysitting was my life during my lovely teen years. I was quite the business woman at a young age - learning just how to maximize my potential by babysitting multiple neighborhood kids at the same time. I called it Mothers morning Out. I would probably now call it illegal. Nonetheless, I've funded my dreams on that first golden business!

It's true though...I feel like I am just baby sitting for someone else's life most of the time or playing house on many days here in Savannah. Last week our new, quite gorgeous washer and dryer were delivered. They make just enough noise to not make the house feel so lonely and like I said they are a pretty pair as far as electronics are concerned.
My new washer and dryer Even as I load our stinky clothes in there (mostly Brooks' covered in slobber) I still feel like they aren't my clothes and this isn't my life. I am just babysitting and soon I'll go home to talk on the phone until 2 in the morning and watch rerun episodes of Full House. I know, you are thinking..."honey, it can't get anymore real...you have a child and a dog and a husband and you just had to buy your first appliance." Well, I know this but I am just going to keep living in my make believe world....it makes it much more fun that way!
If I were to describe to you my surroundings as I write this post you would think I was making things up......67 degrees, no clouds, sun peering through the tall pines in the backyard, high tide, slender white bird on the dock, Amos dancing like a girl in the grass, and me in my bikini with a margarita as I type on the computer. (Maybe a joke about the last part....maybe???)But that's just a glimpse of our days in Savannah when Brad is at work (and of course when it is not raining which is pretty comon these days no matter where you live in the South.) The scenery is always so perfect whether I am doing the laundry or playing on the floor with Brooks or walking out to get the mail. I can't tell you how different this feels than our last season in the capital city. Here, I jump when my new friend, the washer, beeps because her cycle is complete. That is what I have to look forward to in my day. I don't say this negatively at all...sure, it gets lonely but I can't tell you how quiet my heart is....very little to be anxious over....no double-booking anything, no rain checks because I am running late to meet someone....just a whole bunch of calm. Hence, the reason I have red marks up and down my arms from pinching them to make sure I haven't fallen asleep into a peaceful dream. Oh, there is certainly good and bad to this season but today I am enjoying the good. I've written several hand written letters, made dinner already, cleaned the kitchen (don't you love the smell of Mrs. Meyers house cleaning products? I am infatuated and therefore tend to wipe the counter every time I walk by), had 3 parties with my washer and dryer and thus every article of clothing is fresh and clean. I have also cleaned up trash out of my yard twice as today is trash day but we don't have the big cans yet so some neighborhood animal keeps messing with me and my trash. Grrrrrrr.......That would go in the "bad" category. We've also strolled through the yard and sat on the dock talking to the fish and I've read part of a book. It's amazing what can be done around the abode when there is nowhere I know to go and no one to meet. Like I said, there is both positive and negative feelings surrounding this new found empty schedule but right now I am enjoying the added freedom in my adventures in babysitting!

Last week in our happy boredom we decided to try some rice cereal with Mr. Brooks. I've created a monster! Now he watches everything I eat (making me realize, too, how often I like a snack!) and he smacks his mouth open if he sees anything that might come into vision. I was really planning on waiting to start any solid foods but last week I was looking for something new and thought I would experiment with my baby. Best place to start right?PhotobucketPhotobucket

We also had a surprise guest babysitter last Friday! It was such a treat to spend the day with one of my most beloved friends, Dr. Ashley. This is another positive...I am now 3 hours closer to 2 of my favorite girls "playing" house in Charleston.Ashley comes to visit

Lastly, I just need to show you this picture. It doesn't get anymore make believe than this....yesterday, after Brad and I tried a local church service we pulled out of the "visitor" parking spot to find this family on their way home from church. I never would have known there is a place in the great US of A where families bike home from church on a Sunday. I could bet there was an apple pie waiting on the window seal for them, too, as they pulled up to their house. Pinch me!
Family riding home after church

And just because this is funny....here we are enjoying the dock despite the chilly weather. More adventures to report on coming soon.....a chilly morningSunday a.m. on the dock

1 comment:

  1. Betsy! Can I come visit you toward the end of November?!?!?! I REALLY want to! How fun to live in a place where you can ride your bike most places : ) And, I think it is so fun that you live somewhere like you do where Brookes will have so many fun things to explore. He will have to tell Lee all about them. Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete